Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP phone 3905 does not register with BE6K 10.5

Hi everyone 

I have some issues with our 3905 ip phones (9-4-1-0 v.) that simply does not register, they just keep on Provisioning state. I reviewed the IP address of the phone and it simply does not get IP from the voice segment (192.168.2.0) they just got IP from the data segment (192.168.1.0). 

When I try to assign the IP manually it tooks it for a few seconds and then comes back to Provisioning state. we have as well 6921 and 6901 Ip phones that are working fine. I tried to downgrade the firmware version of the phones to 9-2-2-0 but the issue remains

We have a BE6K 10.5 with SG300 and a router 2901 as a gateway for voice and data. this router act as a DHCP server as well. 

Can anyone help me? as far as I could see this is a common issue with this model but I can not find any root cause

3 Replies 3

Terry Cheema
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Can you double check the switch port is configured correctly with Voice vlan? If yes, check there are no dhcp conflicts and you have spare ip addresses in voice scope.

You can also try to do a shut/no shut on port and run the debug on the router - debug ip dhcp server packet to see, why its not getting an IP address in voice range. You can also try doing a factory reset as well.

There was also a bug : (https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCun72951) that caused similar behavior, the work around is listed to disconnect and reconnect the network cable from phone.

Let us know how you go with the above.

-Terry

Please rate all helpful posts

Hi Terry, I have checked the DHCP config and the pools are properly configured, as well the switch has the two vlans (1 -data 2 -voice)

As well I did a factory reset to the device but the behavior is the same. The thing here is that we different ip phone models working fine with the same port configuration on the switch. Even I tried to plug a 6921 IP phone on the same port when a 3950 is plugged and it works fine. 

The issue is only with the 3905 ip phones

Is the issue with all of 3905 phones? What shows up in the status messages logs on the phone?

Firstly you will need to sort out why the 3905 are not getting IP address in voice vlan. Try checking your dhcp scope by running the command, show ip dhcp binding and show ip dhcp conflicts and make sure there is enough ip address space. Also as I mentioned try run debugs as I mentioned in my previous post to get an idea why the 3905 phone is not grabbing the voice vlan IP address. Once it gets correct ip address, if it still doesn't registers then you can try other options like changing the firmware etc.

Worst case it could be the issue with phones. How may of these phones have you got - is it just a few or big number? I had to RMA about 2-3 3905 phones in a lot of around 100 phones in the last deployment. As far as I remember they never went far than provisioning but at the same I had most of these pones working fine.

-Terry

Please rate all helpful posts

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: