cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Phone 3905 - UCL License

Martin Marino
Level 1
Level 1

Hi! I would like to know which UCL License is needed for phone 3905. Is it the UCL Basic License?

Thks!

Martin

9 Replies 9

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Martin,

The 3905 actually falls into the "Essential" catagory (although not shown in this doc );

License Types

License Type Descriptions

Enhanced This license type covers a user and the user’s primary phone when the system

classifies the primary phone as enhanced.

• The Cisco Unified IP Phone 6941 and Cisco Unified IP Phone 6961 use an

enhanced license if these phones are not set up as public space phones or

adjunct phones.

• The Cisco IP Communicator or Cisco Unified Client Services Framework use

this license type if it is the primary phone for the user.

• The Cisco Unified IP Phone 7937 uses this license type if it is the primary

phone for the user.

Basic This license type covers a user and the user’s primary phone when the system

characterizes the primary phone as basic. The Cisco Unified IP Phone 6921 and

Cisco Unified IP Phone 6911 use this license type if the basic license is available

and if the phone is not set up as an adjunct phone.

This basic license type allows a regular user (non-department user) to use

voicemail, Reach Me Anywhere, and Cisco Extension Mobility if the features are

enabled in the usage profile and supported on the phone model.

Essential This license type supports a user and the user’s phone when the system

characterizes the phone as essential. The Cisco Unified IP Phone 6901 and Cisco

VG224 Analog Voice Gateway fall into this category; for example, each analog port

on a Cisco VG224 Analog Voice Gateway consumes a unit in the license file.

Primary phones are not related to the analog/application only license type; that is,

each phone that is classified by the system as analog or application only uses one

license from this license type.

Adjunct Adjunct licenses are used for a secondary phone; that is, the user has a primary

phone assigned to him, and the user needs an additional phone. Adjunct licenses

apply to phones that are characterized by the system as of equal or lesser value than

the primary phone.

Voicemail This license type allows a regular user (non-department user) to use voicemail and

voicemail related features. A separate voicemail license is required for each regular

user (non-department user). For example, if you have 150 users that require

voicemail, you need 150 voicemail licenses.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucmbe3k/8_6_1/system/01_license.html

Cheers!

Rob

Hi Rob,

I just wanted to consult about 6921 model. I find several contradictory documents that once claim a Basic license and once an Enhanced license for this specific model.

Can you advise?

thanks Elton

Elton, did 6921 work with Basic UCL for you?

Regards

-OJ

Hi Oj,

I can confirm 6921 requires definitely a basic license. On the other side I just become aware that basic or enhanced is just an artificial licensing term that Cisco is using, because in the real life they will convert again in a certain number  of the traditional Devoce License Units DLU that call manager has been always using as licensing units. This seems to he the case for at least 8.5 or 8.6 version. This is suposed to change at some later version.

So to cut short, Yes, buy a basic license for eacu 6921 and you will be ok even legally and technically.

Rgds,

Elton

Thanks for helpfuul reply, Elton.

hi rob !

the 3905 supports voice mail ?? is the essencial licensing enought for the 3905 with voice mail ??

regards

Javier

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Elton,

Hahahaha! Yes, another confusing Cisco Licensing question

The 6921 requires only a "basic" license unless the user also requires the use of the following

in which case the "enhanced" license is required.

Basic IP User License also entitles Mobile Connect for a user who does not have any mobile client

(dual mode or Cisco Unified Mobile Communicator)

Cheers!

Rob

Hello Rob,

I am also sailing in the same boat. Trying to find out the exact answer if 6921 will work with Basic UCL on CM 8.5 or higher.

have you seen that working in production?

REgarsd

-OJ

Andre Camillo
Level 5
Level 5

Hello everyone,

Cisco has provided a very good and simple explanation to this matter, check out Figure 1 (on page 6) of BE6K's ordering guide:

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/partner/WWChannels/technology/ipc/downloads/be_6000.pdf

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: