Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Phone 8831 Ethernet Disconnected

Hi,

I would like to seek assistance on the issue I experienced on Cisco IP Phone 8831.

We have 4 units of 8831 phones and 3 units were already registered on CUCM  working fine. 1 unit is failing to register and showing "Ethernet Disconnected" during boot up.

To further isolate the problem, I tried to swap the LAN connection (PoE) of the working phone with the defective one. Still issue encountered.

Also conducted a factory reset to phone but problem still encountered.

Thanks and best regards,

Acevirgil

10 Replies 10

Aditya Gupta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

Have you tried swapping both Cable and port ?

Also is your phone connected via addition power via power adapter or just POE ?

This mostly looks to be an issue of defective phone. I would suggest open TAC SR and request for RMA, in case nothing else is working out for you.

Regards

Aditya Gupta

Hi Aditya,

Thank you for prompt response.

Yes, i already tried swapping both cable and port. Issue still encountered.

Phone is connected via POE only and no additional external power source.

Seems it is a defective phone I'll go ahead and raise a case to TAC for RMA.

Thanks and best regards,

Acevirgil

Is there any fix found for this ethernet disconnected message on 8831 IP phones

This message is not specify to 8831 phones but a generic error message. It suggests one of these:

- Faulty swirchport

- Faulty phone port

- Cabling issue between switch and phone.

Georgios
Please rate if you find this helpful.

sfinke
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I got the same error message.

We have a few CP-8831 phones, and only one of them is showing the message "Ethernet disconnected".

First I guess it was a switchport failure, but another 8831 with same firmware sip8831.10-3-1SR2-2 is working in the non-working" swichport.

Otherwise the "non-working" 8831 is working on another switchport as well... It's weird.

Im not sure, but maybe the phone is defect. If I got new - I'll write it down.

I have the same problem with a batch of 8831's , did you manage to find a workaround for this?

thanks

We could not find the cause
Workaround for me:
We did a cross exchange, and the "broken" phone works fine on another port.
And another phone also works on the "broken" port. A cable exchange had also brought no change.

So now all phones work, but it would be interesting to know what the cause.

Thanks for your help , We have a Batch of these with the same issue , and not even the settings will erase , so were going to RMA them.. cheers

CiscoDOJones
Level 1
Level 1

Ethernet Disconnected, is usually down to a loose PIN on the Ethernet cable at some point between the currnt phone location and your Switch.    Have you a Fluke or cable tester.  some will tell you if there is a break in each of the 8 wires, some will tell you how far away the cut is located.

Take the phone direct to your Comms room and plug it directly in to your switch.   I would expect that to work.    then systemically work your way back to the end destination until you figure our where.   Most likely a loose pin on your Module.

regards

Dave

We had the same problem. 

Finally it seems to be the way you plug in the RJ45 cable in the 8811 Cisco phone.

The RJ45 needs to be plugged in "very deep".

We never had this problem with other types of Cisco phones, in general with other RJ45 ethernet devices.