cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP phone firmware upgrade

Richard Moore
Level 1
Level 1
Hi All, Looking for some IP phone firmware upgrade documentation; I've found some solutions online, but would like a step by step. I don't want to get burned with a "gotcha" because what I've found may not include all the steps. Finally migrating off CUCM 6.x system and need to upgrade phones prior to moving to new platform. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

OK, first of all, read the release notes for the FW you want to upgrade to, if there's a requirement for a middle jump, it will be listed there. If there is, you'll need to follow the upgrade path mentioned before the final FW

The installation is simply a COP file, install it under OS admin as any other COP or ISO, there's no special instructions.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You need to mention if you're using CUCM, or CME, in order to get any assistance.

HTH

java

CUCM

OK, first of all, read the release notes for the FW you want to upgrade to, if there's a requirement for a middle jump, it will be listed there. If there is, you'll need to follow the upgrade path mentioned before the final FW

The installation is simply a COP file, install it under OS admin as any other COP or ISO, there's no special instructions.

HTH

java

Thanks... silly question, not that the first one wasnt.... I've burned the DVDs and sitting in the trays, I realized that the path is under the "ip phone image/79XX" path. How do I enter that in directory field with those spaces in the ip phone images folder name???

Exactly what are you doing??

Uploading the files??

Or installing a COP??

HTH

java

I've got the DVD in the tray.. All of the cop files are in sub-folders that exist under the IP Phone Images folder. i.e. in windows it would be d:/IP Phone Images/7936/*.cop file If you'll notice the main folder off the root is IP Phone Images with spaces... Basically I'm trying to browse to the files but keep getting dir not located.

No need to put the phone firmware files on a DVD. Just save them on your hard drive, go to OS Admin and select the file location and load it. Make sure to load the firmware on all of the CUCM's and restart TFTP service on all after it is loaded.

He has COP files, he needs to install them, not just upload the files.

HTH

java

Don't create any folders if you want to use a DVD, just place all the files in the root of the DVD and use it that way. Or set a SFTP to host the files to install them. Either will work.

HTH

java

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

How long is a piece of string?

How many phones are we talking about?  How many remote locations?

Personally, I prefer to upgrade the phones prior to moving the phones to a higher version cluster. This will give you the opportunity to do it in a more controlled manner.

If you have multiple locations, just change the phone load on a per location basis, using BAT>update phones under the device configuration.  With firmware peer sharing, this should take too long. after that test the location and gradually upgrade all the other phones.

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: