Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Phone - Inline Phone Recording?

Matthew Martin
Level 5
Level 5

Hello All,

I was recently asked about the possibility of recording Phone Interviews. Since this probably wouldn't be used all that much, I didn't think the time and money to setup and configure a new Recording Server (*MediaSense?), and whatever configuration would need to be added to CUCM would be worth it.

Does anyone know of a way to setup some type of call recording from a 7941, 7961, 7962, etc...?

I saw a few devices online where it looks like you plug-in the IP Phone handset into the recorder and then a second rj9 goes from the recorder back into the phone... Something like this: RecorderGear TR600 Landline Phone Call Recorder

Or maybe there's a way to use desktop based software by utilizing the span to pc port functionality..?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in Advance,

Matt

2 Replies 2

sethainsley
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Matthew, 

You can install Wireshark on a PC connected behind the phone and run a packet capture while the phone call is active.  Span to PC port configured on the phone.  Stop the capture after the call is over and pull out the RTP stream.  

Check this link for more details - https://osqa-ask.wireshark.org/questions/62655/rtp-packet-play .

As long as you aren't using SRTP, this should work perfectly for your use case.

Cheers

Seth

Thanks for the reply Seth, much appreciated!

Ok cool, that was what I was thinking too.

Thanks Again,
Matt
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: