Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Phone not getting firmware

rcrawley92
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys, 

I set up CUCM on a VM. And am having problems with my ip phone not getting firmware from the CUCM TFTP server, i did a factory reset on the phone and its now stuck in an endless loop of rebooting, it gets an ip address, but then it says "term62.default", and goes back to the splash screen. Any help would be appreciated.

Router config:

hostname R1
!
!
ip dhcp pool DATA_POOL
   network 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0
   default-router 10.1.1.1
   option 150 ip 10.1.1.100
!
ip dhcp pool VOICE_POOL
   network 10.1.2.0 255.255.255.0
   option 150 ip 10.1.1.100
   default-router 10.1.2.1
!
!
vlan 10
 name DATA
!
vlan 20
 name VOICE
!
interface FastEthernet0/0.10
 encapsulation dot1Q 10
 ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

!
interface FastEthernet0/0.20
 encapsulation dot1Q 20
 ip address 10.1.2.1 255.255.255.0
!
ntp master
end

Switch config:

hostname S1
!
!
interface FastEthernet0/1
 description TO_R1
 switchport mode trunk

!
interface FastEthernet0/2
 description TO_CALL_MANAGER
 switchport access vlan 10
 switchport mode access
 switchport voice vlan 20
 spanning-tree portfast
!
interface FastEthernet0/3
 description TO_IP_PHONE
 switchport access vlan 10
 switchport mode access
 switchport voice vlan 20
 spanning-tree portfast
!
interface Vlan1
 no ip address
 no ip route-cache
!
interface Vlan10
 ip address 10.1.1.2 255.255.255.0
 no ip route-cache
!
interface Vlan20
 no ip address
 no ip route-cache
!
ip default-gateway 10.1.1.1
!
end

10 Replies 10

vasank
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Can you share the following.

1. Hardware Revision (Back sticker at the bottom of phone near phone stand).

2. Phone Model

3. Default Firmware version Device > Device Settings > Device Defaults Information.

I cant find the revision number but the model is Cisco 7962G

The firmware version is on the attached file

You could always fire up a tftp server and serve the phone what it needs from a laptop if you got a power brick.  Might want to hook up a sniffer to watch the traffic too.  Is this the only phone on the server or the only one having issues?

Ok cool, the phone is PID VID: CP7962G V15

The phone was running on CUCM 9.1.2, but i am now using 8.6.2

I don't know if it makes a difference, downgrading the firmware

looking at this I'd say this is your problem.  Its likely you upgraded the firmware on that phone when it was on a later version of CUCM and are now trying to downgrade it.  Go and download the latest version of firmware and upload it to your CUCM (whichever the latest version you can find is).  I've seen multiple times where phones do not downgrade properly and have fixed it by upgrading the actual firmware for some reason going down hasnt worked for me short of opening TAC case.

Thanks. To obtain hardware revision. In the bottom sticker you will find something like this:

PID VID: CP7962G V16. V16 implies hardware revision.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11942446/7962-v15-firmware-requirements

Unless you have any reachability issues or hardware issues with it's just about making sure the firmware sent by CUCM is over and above the minimum version required for that hardware revision.

Ok cool, the phone is PID VID: CP7962G V15

The phone was running on CUCM 9.1.2, but i am now using 8.6.2

I don't know if it makes a difference, downgrading the firmware

Thanks. If things don't work, can you please share the sniffer capture from the switch port using span session of the Phone switch port. That could help further. 

HTH,

Vasanth

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

On your switch interface to your router, add these commands as well for testing:

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 10,20

Then, double check that you CUCM TFTP is actually up and running and that you can retrieve a file.  One way to do that is from your router, type this command

more tftp://10.1.1.100/term62.default.loads

You should see the contents of that file in your terminal window.  If not, then there's a problem with your TFTP on CUCM.  Try activating, or restarting the service.  If that still doesn't work, SSH into CUCM and validate that the file even exists with the following command

file list tftp /term62.default.loads

It should not say "no such file or directory" but instead say 1 file found and list the filename.

Keep in mind that when you factory reset the phone, it has to have DHCP with Option 150 so it can request the file term62.default.loads, which itself has a list of files in it, all of which need to be accesible via TFTP as well.  So, when you do your "more" command on the router, look at the bottom of the output and you'll see these files (your versions could be slightly different than mine)

jar42sip.9-3-1ES26.sbn
cnu42.9-3-1ES26.sbn
apps42.9-3-1ES26.sbn
dsp42.9-3-1ES26.sbn
cvm42sip.9-3-1ES26.sbn

So, go back the SSH into CUCM and run the "file list" command five more times to make sure those files are also there.  You can try a "more" command on each of those if you want, but be warned that these are not text files and they are large, so outputting their contents into the terminal would not be ideal.

Last but not least, if you validating everything, then you need to try the other factory reset option.  It takes much longer, and has little status display on the screen, so it's best to start the process and then leave it alone for like 1 to 2 hours before you do anything.  In fact, just do it before bed, and then when you wake up it will be done.

The key sequence for this other factory reset option is as follows:

3491672850*#

Good luck.

Looks like the files are there, when i run the "more tftp://10.1.1.100/term62.default.loads" i get this:

#
# This file contains a list of archive image files that will be requested by the
# RELEASE load version 9-2-1TH1-13
#
#HARDWARE_COMP_1 1

jar42sip.9-2-1TH1-13.sbn
cnu42.9-2-1TH1-13.sbn
apps42.9-2-1TH1-13.sbn
dsp42.9-2-1TH1-13.sbn
cvm42sip.9-2-1TH1-13.sbn

Looks like a good old factory reset it is.

Nope no good.

Did the 3491672850*# reset and phone is now just blank