Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Phones reboot randomly

Jesse Mendez
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

My call center is running VoIP services and some phones randomly reboot from time to time.  We are using Polycom 331 phones plugged into 2 PoE cisco switches.  This random reboot affect 2 – 5 users per day and it seems to be no pattern.

By the way, we are using these switches:

Switch Ports Model              SW Version            SW Image

------ ----- -----              ----------            ----------

*    1 52    WS-C3750V2-48PS    12.2(50)SE5           C3750-IPSERVICESK9-M

Also, we get phones rebooted from both switches, so that mostly discard a switch hardware error I guess.

When a phone reboots, I see this from the logs:

Oct 24 11:43:08.387: %ILPOWER-7-DETECT: Interface Fa1/0/27: Power Device detected: IEEE PD
Oct 24 11:43:09.964: %ILPOWER-7-DETECT: Interface Fa1/0/27: Power Device detected: IEEE PD
Oct 24 11:43:10.954: %ILPOWER-5-POWER_GRANTED: Interface Fa1/0/27: Power granted
Oct 24 11:43:15.416: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet1/0/27, changed state to up
Oct 24 11:43:16.423: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet1/0/27, changed state to up
Oct 24 11:44:05.580: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet1/0/27, changed state to down
Oct 24 11:44:07.585: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet1/0/27, changed state to up
Oct 24 13:21:28.313: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet1/0/27, changed state to down
Oct 24 13:21:30.318: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet1/0/27, changed state to up

From that, I can see the switch detecting the PoE device, provide the power and then the link and protocol goes down, the phone reboots for a couple of seconds and then come back again; but what I don’t know is if the link disconnection was caused by the switch or by the phone.

I don’t know what else to look at… I had the power inline to auto, then to a static value recommended by the phones provided and we still get this random reboot issue.  Any hints on where to look at would be highly appreciated.  Thank you.

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Check with your phone system vendor. it is not the Cisco switch causing phones to reboot.

Thank you very much Paolo.  I have been working with the vendor and all they do it's to update the firmware version on the phones, but I want to check everything and make sure there is no misconfiguration on our internal site that might be causing this random problem.

Robert Thomas
Level 7
Level 7

Jesse,

Unfortunately we wont be much help with non Cisco equipment. I guess I could recomend you to span the port ad take a capture of the unregistering phone, but who knows what the control plane should look like.

Regarding polycom upgrading firmware, it's sad but not all 3rd party technical support be so technically proficient.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

satishmothukri
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

We had same problem in my network few months back and resolved after entering correct DNS ip's on the polycom phones.

Please send us config of the switch.Better enable port mirroring on the switches to capture logs using wire shark and if we get logs which helps for further troubleshooting.

Check the settings on the phones ..Settings like DNS server ip etc on the phones  might be culprit for reboot.

With Rgds,

M S K

Thanks , M S K

slashdots
Level 1
Level 1

With such problems I always start with the simplest of all possible problem causes.

- Is the Ethernet cable plugged in properly on both sides?

Even known this is a “stupid” question I often see cables which are not quite plugged into the phone, then every time somebody moves the Phone a bit it undergoes a reboot.

If that’s not the case you should make a list with every possible reason for the phone to reboot.

Example:

- Reboot initiated by the telephony server

- Interruption of POE supply

- Reboot self initiated because of…

- User generated reboot (through the menu)

- …..

This list is just an example and therefore not complete!

Additioanly a quick search in the Bug Toolkit lead me to that Bug:

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCti21077

You might want to check if there is another simular bug which is more related to your problem.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: