cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Phones showing "High Traffic Try Again Later"

sganpat
Level 1
Level 1

Last night we configured Auto QoS Voice on our switches. For most of the day everything was fine, but a little after noon some phones within the network were showing "High Traffic Try Again Later". The CUCM is local to the phone in the same VLAN.

Could the QoS config cause this error?

Sachin

13 Replies 13

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Check CPU utilization on CUCM server, that's most likely the culprit.

HTH,

Chris

Thank you for your reply Chris.

I'm not in a position to check that now, but wouldn't that affect all phones, not just some? I'm a Network engineer and not a VoIP engineer, so pardon my ignorance.

I just thought that it was a huge coincidence that the error came up the day after we configured QoS.

Sachin

looks like the QOS configuration is messing up the voice traffic!!

That is what I am trying to figure out. I am not seeing any evidence of the QoS affecting the network traffic. All traffic the phones are within the network. I see no excessive drops on ports and the QoS WAN policies did not come into effect during the time the issue was encountered.

I'm basically stumped.

Sachin

Gajanan Pande
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

While such error is displayed on phones, Where are they calling to ? PSTN, another site users or same site users ?

If Another site, then bandwidth allocated between 2 sites must have been exhausted ( check location setting for BW allocation ). Is AAR configured whenever bandwidth between 2 sites gets exhausted ?

GP.

Pls rate helpful posts !!

I'll have to check those details and get back to you.

As far as I know, AAR is not configured. When you say that bandwidth is exhausted, is this a setting in call manager, or based on the network?

I'm really trying to asertain whether the QoS changes we made is causing it, or whether we should be looking at something else.

Sachin

sganpat wrote:

As far as I know, AAR is not configured. When you say that bandwidth is exhausted, is this a setting in call manager, or based on the network?

As mentioned earlier, check how much bandwidth is configured for inter-site communication in Location setting of your CUCM ( for those 2 sites ). Then check which codec will be used for calls between those 2 sites ( check region setting in your CUCM ). This should tell you how many calls are allowed between 2 sites & if users are trying to make calls over & above the capacity & facing the error.

All of above applies only if users are facing error while making calls across the site, which you need to still confirm.

GP.

Pls rate helpful posts !!

Hi, i would like to know what did you do to fix this issue. Because I have the same message on ipphones making calls to PSTN. Did you restart the call manager service?

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

here s a link that explains this and offers a work around

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_tech_note09186a008091c1dc.shtml

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Also, if you search this forum for "High Traffic Try Again Later" you will find quite a few threads, as I stated in my original thread check your CPU utilization.  Also, what QoS configuration did you apply to the switchports the CUCM servers plug into? Are you trusting all DSCP values and not policing any traffic?

HTH,

Chris

Solution:

Restart the Call Manager service on all utilized CM Subscribers

Good Luck

hkahuka16
Level 1
Level 1

Check CPU utilization on CUCM server, that's most likely the culprit. CUCM need to be restarted. as soon as you restart the system it will come up.

MAYBE IT IS TOO LATE TO REPLY but it can help for other admins on the future.

I had the problem with calls to cellphone, some cellphone, the problem was wiht the way to dial, some cellphone has to dial direct like your house. That was my problem, it was not problem for my router or pbx. 

I attach my debug from the router it sends the legend "Cause Value= 42"

Hope it can helps u!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: