Views
Helpful
Replies

IPT <getDeviceCaps> usage tag Confusion

Asif Khan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All!

I am currently developing an application where the model of the phone must be determined.

I am using the provided Cisco IPT-SDK for the application development, where XML tags are used.

CUCM=8.5

Phones: 7940,7941,7970

Webserver for IPPhone services: IIS 6.0 on windows 2003

Well in the cisco document, the <getDeviceCaps> is mentioned to query a device for its type,model and other details.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/all_models/xsi/8_0_1/DeviceQueryViaCTI.html

My question is, How do I integrate this into my code? It says it can be used with post, but I am puzzled all over. cant figure it out. how do  get this tag to work?

Waiting for your inputs!

Thanks!

4 Replies 4

Stephen Welsh
Level 4
Level 4

I don't believe it's possible to combine line details from multiple sources to a single device profile other than implimenting something programatically as custom applicaiton, not a simple task

I would recomend you create multiple 'per department' device profiles for each user, but impliment a way to make it simple/consistent for users to login with the correct profile.

The easyist way would be to include a short department code in the Device Profile name i.e.

JBLOGGS_PED - Peditration

JBLOGGS_PRA - Practice

Becuase the user has multiple profiles they will be given the choice to choose the relevant one, for example:

Note the best solution as it's open to user error

Alternatively if you are happy to write a simple web application you could leverage the following information:

The Extension Mobility URL the phone uses to login is actually quite basic and includes the following query string parameters:

nameDevice NameuseridUsers login IDseqUsers PIN numberdevProfThe Device Profile to login (if there is more than one)

name

userid

seq

devProf

http://ucm91:8080/emapp/EMAppServlet?device=#DEVICENAME#&userid=jbloggs&seq=12345&devProf=

JBLOGGS_PED

Thanks for your input. So basically, this means if we set the header "x-CiscoIPPhoneModelName" in the Response.Addheader() asp object, the phone should return the model? right?

and when the phone gives the output, how do we collect it in our asp variable to display? I know how to dsiplay a variable on an IPT screen, but dont know how to collect response from this header then...!

I am also giving it a try on my server.

this means if we set the header "x-CiscoIPPhoneModelName" in the Response.Addheader() asp object, the phone should return the model? right?

Not quite, other way round, when the phone request a page from your applicaiton you can fo this:

Request.Headers("x-CiscoIPPhoneModelName")

To get the model of the requesting phone, assuming you the phone is sending you the request in the first place.

Thanks

Stephen Welsh

CTO

http://www.unifiedfx.com

hmm..Thats a very important point... I am going to try that on my server tomorow and get back...

Thanks for you Help!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: