cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is there a one page summary of all routing decisions made by CUCM?

steakandeggs
Level 1
Level 1

I'm thinking a nice diagram detailing all algorithms that can be used by CUCM to route calls and transmogrify digits. I just want to see it all in one place, and you know it can fit on one page.

7 Replies 7

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

CUCM only uses one algorithm to route calls, best match routing, there's nothing like that in CUCM, best you can use is DNA to see the routing decisions for one call.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

No, it has multiple mechanisms for deciding how to route calls, and the DNA isn't always clear about what is happening. This is why, in part, we all have jobs making CUCM work, no? Also it has multiple mechanisms for changing number and name presentation. I'm not looking for an automated link in CUCM to show me this, I'm wondering if anyone has written one down. Same goes for routing decisions made by SIP and H.323 voice gateways, and CME and SRST.    

I'm with Jaime on this one - it uses one method to route calls. It checks the partitions to which the calling device has access to and routes to the best match. I think what you are looking for is more a walk through of how the analyzer takes the dialled digits to end up with the digits it uses to route the call.

I have been unclear (and maybe inaccurate) in describing what I mean. Yes, the method it uses is best match. But how it makes that decision is what is more opaque. For starters, consider AAR, CAC, LSRG, route patterns, NANP, transformation patterns, translation patterns, route filters, time based routing, partition ordering, urgent priority, FAC, and layering CSS's on a device. All of those things and more are checked or potentially checked when making a routing decision or a number changing decision. Lets see a chart showing this, is what I'm saying.

Let me put it this way: "best match" is a vague term. It doesn't necessarily mean "most specific".

What Mr. Steak and eggs is probably saying is that there are multiple ways and levels to do dialed number and "dailing number" manipulation.  As he stated, yes old world call routing was based on TP>RP>RL>RG>Gateway, Css parttition etc etc.(and essentially, it still works that way) . But, and especially with the introduction of Local Route Groups, it has become more complex and granular.

I would love to see a visio that would summarise all the options (possibly a challenge i would take up on myself).  For now Mr. Steak and snags,   your best place for information that would cover all the options; Cisco's SRND. so the answer to your question is: NO

=============================
Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below. 

=============================

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

If you're looking for call flow information once the call reaches your voice gateways you can run "show dialplan number [Dial Digit String]" from the command line.   This will show you the matched dial-peers, and eventually what session target or port the voice gateway will route the call to.   There's a ton of info in the middle, but you'll have to decide what's relevant to you and research from there.

TONY

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: