Views
Helpful
Replies

Is there a way to unlock phone with restricted settings

Kita
Level 1
Level 1

The Background

I'm a VOIP admin with the DOD, so we prefer to restrict settings.

The phones connected to our CUCM our geographically separated (across the nation) and we rely on local support for touch maintenance.

Too often, something in the local network infrastructure changes and the phone loses connectivity to CUCM.  Unfortunately, we don't get a call until after the tech realizes they don't have the option to change the network information on the phone.

Without connectivity to CUCM, there is no way to temporarily enable access.

Factory resets are not an option with most of our geographically separated customers because they don't have a DHCP environment (this a a closed / restricted network).

My question:

If settings are disabled/restricted, and a phone loses connectivity to CUCM...is there a way to unlock the phone (or erase settings) without a factory reset?

Phone models are various 79xx series

CUCM 7.1.2

4 Replies 4

Paul McGurn
Level 6
Level 6

I think this would defeat the security purpose of "Restricted" vs. just "Disabled".  With Disabled, you can temporarily unlock vai the  *#* sequence while in the menu.  Restricted disables everything but end user settings, and even unlocking the menu will not allow access locally.  Security best practices are to use Restricted, but if your environment can allow for it, Disabled is probably a better option from a support perspective.

I haven't tried this, but you may be able to get around this by doing a factory reset on the phone, but that'd obviously wipe any of your disconnected CUCM's settings.

Paul,

You have that backwards....restricted allows you to use the **# (but there isn't access to network configs)

Disabled takes away ALL control, including user settings and adjusting volume.

You are correct, being able to override the restricted settings while connected to CUCM would defeat the purpose.

My question still remains however....is it possible to override the settings if the phone is disconnected?  If not override, then erase all settings so a tech would be able to manually enter new network settings?

As I stated above, factory reset is not an option because not all of our sites have DHCP enabled.

Thanks!

Kita

Sorry, it's been a while since I've had to muck around on this part.

No worries!  I appreciate you chiming in.

I thought I remembered unplugging the network cable from a VOIP phone and the settings button re-activated.  But I haven't been able to recreate that scenerio in our lab environment so maybe I remembered it wrong. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: