cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is using POE cheaper than using a power cube for ip phones (consumption)

Good day,

I have a question regarding the use of a POE switch.

At this moment we have around 200 IP phones.

All these phones use a power cube connected to the electricity.

Our switches are not POE so I want to replace them by POE.

My question is, is using POE more cheap with consumption of electricity then the power cubes.

And if so, is there some formula to see how much consumption difference?

If you have some information for me it would help a lot

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

hi ,

you can refer POE calculator for power calculations.you need to have CCOId.

http://tools.cisco.com/cpc/LU.cpc

regds,

aman

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
My question is, is using POE more cheap with consumption of electricity then the power cubes.

Depends. 

One thing good about PoE is the ability to remotely power down a phone which you can't do with a power cube.  With power cube, you need to have a dedicated power outlet.  With PoE switch, you just have to make sure your switch has enough power capacity to power (PoE, PoE+ or uPoE) for powered-end-device.  

And if so, is there some formula to see how much consumption difference?

Depends on the phone and depends on the PoE switch model.  Cable distance between the device and the switch also can make a difference.

With a supported switch and phones, you can use EnergyWise to put phones into a low power state. "If a power brick is powering up the Cisco IP Phone, then the Power Save Plus mode will not function."

I completely agree with James, you can use energywyse and save a bunch! without much effort I setup my switches to turnoff the ports connected to phone after everyone leaves the office (around 9pm) and they turn on again around 5.30am, in the last month we save almost $200! and you can do pretty cool stuff with the new 2960-X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O2tX1D5HNw

Hope this helps.

Rolando Valenzuela.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: