Views
Helpful
Replies

ISDN National and Subscriber Type of Numbers

Joey De Wiele
Level 1
Level 1

Hey,

I'm trying to understand the complications of using the incoming calling party settings with ISDN TON National and Subscriber. I went through the Cisco Live Adanced Dial Plan presentation and looked many other places but have ended up confused. There seem to be conflicts in many places concerning what subscriber/national numbers would be.

If I am in Toronto with area code 416 and I get a toll call from a foreigh NPA, 212 for example, does that arrive as a 10 digit number of type National? So I prefix 91 and everything is great.

If I am in Toronto with area code 416 and get a local call from the 416 area code does it arrive as a 10 digit number of type national or type subscriber? If it comes in as type national and I prefix 91 it would look wrong in the missed call list.

If I am in Toronto with area code 416 and I get a local call from a foreign NPA (e.g. 905) does it arrive as a 10 digit national or 10 digit subscriber number? Again if I prefix 91 it's technically wrong in the missed call list.

If I'm in Toronto in area code 905 some 905 calls are local and some are toll. Does the caller ID always come in as 10 digit and with TON set to National? Or do the local calls come in as 10-digit of type subscriber while the toll calls come in as 10-digit as type national?

Bottom line: Is "subscriber" synonymous with "local" and "National" synonymous with "toll", regarless of whether the call is coming from the home or foreign NPA? This would be fantastic as then the thing actually works.

Same question for outbound. I assume I tag all outbound long distance calls as National and use 10 digits? Do I tag local 10 digit numbers as national or subscriber? If I have a local 10 digit number for a foreign NPA do I send that as a 10 digit number of type subscriber?

I'm trying to use Incoming Calling Party Settings to provide the correct numbers in missed call lists and transformations to correct called party numbers with TEHO, AAR, CFUR and so on.

I think I do this for incoming:

National        Prefix 91

International  Prefix 9011

Subscriber    Prefix 9

I need to have a set of of transformations for outbound:

911                 Do nothing, type unknown

9.[2-9]11          Discard predot, type unknown

9.xxxxxxx        Discard predot, type subscriber

9011.!              Discard predot, type international

For National number types, can I do this everywhere:

9.xxxxxxxxxx   Discard predot, type National

91.xxxxxxxxxx Discard predot, type National

Or do I need site specific transformations:

9.416xxxxxxx  Discard predot, type Subscriber

91.xxxxxxxxxx Discard predot, type National

To reach US NPAs I assume I don't need to send an 11-digit number tagged as international.

Sorry for the long post. Hope someone knows how this works.

Joey

2 Replies 2

Ben Morgan
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Joey,

First up Im not in the USA.. but in Australia various providers send different elements with each call setup. So I would first debug isdn q931 to see the actual format of both the called and calling party. This would determine what digits to strip or prepend. In this output, this will also show if your provider is attaching the call setup with TON.

Again with the outbound to the PSTN, I have come across different requirement by providers in both Aust and NZ. Some providers will only accept 7 digits, or only 10 digits etc. The provider should be able to advise of these requirements. Same with TON.

Cheers

Ben

If you found this post useful, please rate!

Hi,

As Ben suggested, first we need to debug and check whats the TYPE is arriving on the GW. based on that you need to decide.

At the same time for the TYPE

International - prefix 9011

National - prefix 91

Local - prefix 9

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: