hi all,

do you know if i use ISR4000 do the SBC < SIP Trunk > to Broadsoft 

how to calculate CUBE session license?  

find at Cisco website, say 

"Some vendors consider one call as two sessions."   

So I have some confuse. 

Thank you 

CUBE Licensing FAQs

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/voice/cube/configuration/cube-book/voi-cube-licensing.html?referring_site=RE&pos=1&page=https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/unified-communications/unified-border-element/data-sheet-c78-7...

Q. 

What constitutes a session?

A. 

A session is a single audio or a video call across the CUBE, regardless of call legs. Some vendors consider one call as two sessions.

CUBE licensing options

CUBE licensing is, in all cases, a per-session license, where a “session” is defined as a two-way call transiting CUBE, either for signaling, media or both, regardless of the number of media sessions involved in that call. As such, there is no additional licensing needed for calls with media forking for call recording.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/unified-communications/unified-border-element/data-sheet-c78-729692.html

this topic say  1 call = 1 CUBE session 

https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/ip-telephony/understand-session-licenses-for-cube/td-p/3230694

13 Replies 13

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In terms of Cisco licensing, a session is a call traversing cube with two call legs, you can see more details and a sizing exercise here: https://www.ciscolive.com/global/on-demand-library/?search.event=ciscoliveus2018&search.technology=scpsTechnology_collaboration#/session/1509501654470001Pgje

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi @Jaime Valencia @Beyondhing

A little question to go more deeper with this post.

Ok we have in terms on Cisco licencing, a number of simultaneous call sessions traversing CUBE. That's right?

But, at this Cisco Licencing, we have to associate the type of PVDM-4 installed on his cisco 4000 series chassis.

This card permit to have simultaneous calls traversing CUBE in a specific codec.

For example I have got a Cisco Licencing on my CUBE that permit me 100 calls session.

If I insert a PVDM-4/32, by definition, I only have 32 calls simultaneously possible in G711.

How about that?

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

1.JPG2.JPG

You're confusing CUBE with TDM.

TDM forcefully needs PVDMs

CUBE does not.

HTH

java

Ok @Jaime Valencia thank you.

Then, if I sum up all these ideas.

I'm agree that TDM need DSP....transcoding, transrating and conference too.

If we have a CUBE. It's ok that we need it for ip to ip connection (as proxy).

When we read that PVDM-3/64 (for example) permit us to have 64 channels voice or fax simultaneously in G711....we don't care of that on CUBE. The calls running through the CUBE have got one limitation due to the licence capacity? That's all?

No need PVDM for that also?

Is it the same reflexion as concerned the call running through CME ?

Best regards

I suggest you review the Cisco Live session that I already posted.

HTH

java

As long as a codec mismatch is not happening on the CUBE and it does not try to invoke a Xcoder locally, you don't need any PVDM's.
Even if it's fax etc, there is no need for PVDM. PVDM are used for TDM to IP or IP to TDM packetization/repacketiztion. When you have a CUBE i.e. IP to IP call flow, everything is packetized end to end.

From licensing perspective, one session is one call irrespective of the call legs in case of CUBE. For this reason, call forking/recording, does not require additional licenses.

Thanks @R0g22

What is the definition of "voice terminaison"?

Best regards

@R0g22

For example when this command show me that:

ROUTEUR#sh voice dsp capabilities slot 0 dsp 1

DSP Type: SP2600 -43

Card 0 DSP id 1 Capabilities:

Credits 645 , G711Credits 15, HC Credits 32, MC Credits 20,

FC Channel 43, HC Channel 20, MC Channel 32

[......]

Then it concerns only TDM to ip (or vice versa) ?

I can have 43 calls simultaneously in G711....43 voice channels repacketized simultaneously with codec G711?

This capabilities has nothing to with calls running through the router even if it's an packetized end to end call.

Best regards

That is right and that is what a Digital Signal Processor does. Assists in Code/Decode which you see mentioned as a "CODEC". When you have a TDM to IP or vice-versa termination, the packets terminate on the router/DSP/PVDM and are sampled/packetized/coded and sent in IP packets i.e. RTP. On TDM, you just have in-band or wide-band depending upon what we are referring to. Same is true for vice-versa, IP packets or RTP terminate on the router unpacketized/decoded and sent out a TDM/FXO/FXS. This is where you see the credits come into picture. A G711ulaw consumes the least amount of credits since the DSP's don't have to work that hard to code/decode. Medium and higher complexity codecs need more DSP processing hence consume more credits and less calls are possible via the same DSP core. If you add sRTP to the mix, it further pushes the DSP algorithm.

The caps that you have highlighted are the caps for the DSP core(s) on the PVDM card. It has nothing to do with whether you have a CUBE or TDM. PVDM is not aware of that. It is the router that allocates a DSP when it sees it fit and mandates.

Thank's a lot @R0g22

Very clear!!! Better than some documentations.

Best regards

Good that it didn't confuse you further, lol!

Hi Jaime Valencia,

Nice ppt.  thank you 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: