cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Issue with SIP registration packet

Brett DuPont
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2911 gateway running OS of 15.2(4)M6a configured to work with our local provider.  They are stating that they are never getting a SIP registration packet from me.  I am not sure where I should be looking and what I could have missed in my configuration both in CUCM 8.6.2 or my router config.

Currently inbound / outbound calls work flawlessly.  Issue I am encountering is because they are not getting this registration packet from me, the SIP connection is terminated after approximately 30 minutes or reset after I make another outbound call.

I have spoken with our provider and he states this is correct, that since he is not receiving this packet from me his system will terminate the connection until I "prime the pump" with an out bound call (his words).  He also states that when we are making the calls he sees all the correct info and IPs coming from me.

Can someone help me with this as I am unsure of where this registration packet should be coming from.  My CUCM?  My gateway?  Both?  Neither?

This is in my lab environment as this is a POC for a future project, so currently there is only (1) phone associated to this setup.

I am attaching a copy of my gateway config as a starting point to see if anyone can help.

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Brett,

In scenarios like this what you want to use is OOD (out of dialog) options ping. I noticed that you have this already setup, so I am not sure why your provider cant see the keep alives you are sending..

The first question is to ask them if they support options ping. You may also look at sample traces and see the CUBE is sending out options ping to the provider and see if they respond to it.

This is the only means of checking that a trunk/link is active..and hence if they get these periodic keep alives then they should know that your link is up...

Please rate all useful posts

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Brett DuPont
Level 1
Level 1

In further reading and investigating between other forums and some Wireshark captures I was able to determine the issue and confirm it is resolved.

I missed the following piece of config in the sip-ua

credentials username 4197943485 password 7 0137070A7A28561D311F4F3258 realm sip.buckeye.com

I had the authenticate in place not realizing I needed credential also.

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Brett,

In scenarios like this what you want to use is OOD (out of dialog) options ping. I noticed that you have this already setup, so I am not sure why your provider cant see the keep alives you are sending..

The first question is to ask them if they support options ping. You may also look at sample traces and see the CUBE is sending out options ping to the provider and see if they respond to it.

This is the only means of checking that a trunk/link is active..and hence if they get these periodic keep alives then they should know that your link is up...

They are supporting and seeing the options ping.

They for some reason are expecting a registration packet to come from me also.  If they do not get that from me the SIP trunk goes out of service until I make another call.

When I added this piece of config to my CUBE (see below) suddenly he got what he was expecting from me and I also see a difference in my register status.

credentials username 4197943485 password 7 0137070A7A28561D311F4F3258 realm sip.buckeye.com

buckeyeSIP-lab#sh sip register status
Line                             peer       expires(sec) registered P-Associ-URI
================================ ========== ============ ========== ============
4197943485                       -1         395          yes

Not sure why they are requiring this additional piece outside of the options ping but they are.

Brett,

The way the have set their system up is a bit strange because in most cases you shouldnt even be able to place a call without these credentials. But I guess you are all good now, thats all that counts. Thank you for the nice rating and please keep coming back here if you need us to help again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: