cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber for iPhone while traveling in Europe and North Africa

Twokiddad
Level 1
Level 1

I work for a Company in Oklahoma. Our executives make extensive use of Jabber for iPhone while traveling in the United States. I

One of our executives will be traveling this summer in Western Europe and Morocco has asked about Jabber connectivity while on holiday. His cell plan has overseas connectivity for a flat fee of $10.00/day. Will he be able to still have Jabber connectivity to our system also? My gut tells me maybe, but with possible spotty coverage and horrendous voice delay due to satellite signal latency.

Any thoughts from the Cisco Community on this topic?

3 Replies 3

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You don't mention if this is on-prem, and if so, is this MRA? VPN?

Or is this cloud?

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

VoIP is only as good as the network path it traverses. No one can predict the connection quality that your user will experience when traveling, either within the US or abroad.

if they are calling the US then the RTT is likely to be roughly equivalent to a PSTN call; however, if they are calling within Europe I would agree that the delay will be intolerable. The user can either expense the cellular minutes or buy a local SIM card, the latter being the most common approach.

j.huizinga
Level 6
Level 6

It all depends on the quality of the lines (I assume you use Expressway MRA)

I live in Europe and one of my customers has sales people traveling in Europe, US, and Asia. In general jabber works fine, but you can't say the farther away means worse quality, sometimes China <-> Europe works better than with some countries within Europe

Another customer has put 2 8865 phones in their offices in Singapore and uses Expressway MRA to register. The quality is amazing (including video)

Just try it and use GSM as backup

JH