cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber in phone only mode issues where Cisco IPC does not

Josh Stickney
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all.  I have opened a case on this but wanted to see if anyone might have some experience with this. 

We have had a lot of users that used CIPC to work from home. With CIPC being end of sale, we have started moving to Jabber as a phone only, no IM and Presence servers being used any more, but they were at one time.  I just removed them from the cluster when we went to UCM 12.x as the company already has too many applications for that. We have high availability with the publisher and 1 subscriber in our main data center, then another subscriber in our secondary data center.  We also have an ASA VPN concentrator at each datacenter.

Everything was working fine but we had a VPN upgrade and at that point, clients connecting to our VPN at the main data center could not receive incoming off net calls, although they could call out.  Had them switch to using the other VPN at our secondary data center where they were fine.  At some point, before we could figure out what was causing that; they started having issues getting inbound off net calls at the secondary data center VPN but then the primary data center VPN started working.

At this point, I am all over the VPN guys trying to figure out what they changed, but then we got a new twist.  I found that when Jabber was registered, I do not even see the calls hit the CUBE and callers get "Your call cannot be completed as dialed."  If Jabber was not registered in UCM you get to voicemail and see the call coming across the CUBEs.

Still thinking VPN NAT issue or something, but then we tried the same line on CIPC.  Worked fine on either VPN.  Same CSS and partitions.  Same locations for the device. 

So I am baffled and I think Cisco TAC is as confused as I am, and maybe you are now; but I am curious if there is something Jabber does differently to function than CIPC?  Maybe that would lead me to look for how it manages to take the CUBE clean out of it?

4 Replies 4

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Not really, Jabber is simply a SIP endpoint as far as CUCM is concerned, uses the same dial plan logic and routing as any other endpoint. RTP goes directly between endpoints just as with CIPC (unless you use MTP/TRP in the call flow).

Your call cannot be completed as dialing is in most cases CSS/partition issues, that's not a Jabber issue, it's a CUCM configuration issue, or a GW configuration issue.

Gather traces and debugs and troubleshoot as any other SIP endpoint.

If incoming calls do not show in your CUBE, that's a whole different issue, Jabber is not even in the picture at that point.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Yeah thats the baffling part.  I should see a call to a DID hit my CUBE no matter what.  As soon as I start jabber with the line I get nothing.  I started thinking it was from when we used to run an Expressway edge maybe, but as far as I can tell, that is all gone and really our SIP provider sends to the CUBEs IP address to begin with.  It really doesnt make sense. 

Call your telco and ask them what they see when you place the call, because you don't see it hitting your GW/CUBE

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Josh Stickney
Level 1
Level 1

We got it figured out.  It was the VPN ASA.  It was set to inspect SIP.  The reason IPC was working is they were using SCCP while Jabber was using SIP.

Thanks all