cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber integration with SharePoint

Max Friar
Level 1
Level 1

Our organization uses SharePoint, mainly to store (sometimes even collaborate) on documents. There are also groups that are quite active.

We have Cisco Unified Communication Manager on premise, also Jabber installed on (almost) every computer. The problem is that some users have also installed Lync (others Skype, some both), which has created a ton of problems for the IT department because the contact cards that normally appear in SharePoint are acting differently depending on whatever setup the individual user has. What's a good way to ensure that Jabber functionality is there by default?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

My recommendation is based on my last 6 months working with Jabber SDK for Web. I would recommend skipping the OS fixes - it will always be a losing battle - and going with server-side solution.

When developing our own Jabber - SharePoint integration, we focused on contextual shortcuts that go beyond the contact cards and presence info on portraits.

For example, we amended the documents menu to include communication options like "Invite all to chatroom". You can also use WebEx API to do include meeting shortcuts as well (see WIP screenshot).

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

My recommendation is based on my last 6 months working with Jabber SDK for Web. I would recommend skipping the OS fixes - it will always be a losing battle - and going with server-side solution.

When developing our own Jabber - SharePoint integration, we focused on contextual shortcuts that go beyond the contact cards and presence info on portraits.

For example, we amended the documents menu to include communication options like "Invite all to chatroom". You can also use WebEx API to do include meeting shortcuts as well (see WIP screenshot).