Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber softphone usage in India

abraham23482
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I work for a company in the US and we have a branch in India. I am aware of the TRAI regulations ( what is allowed and what is not) with respect to a Cisco desk phone within the office in India. for that purpose, the India cluster has geolocation based logical partitioning and restricts phones at one India location access the border device of any other location. So that part is sorted out. 

My question is, can someone help me with the guidelines for the usage of a softphone in India, like CIPC, Jabber or even skype4business or lync. 

Can we give softphone access with Jabber to India users that will be in the same geo-location policies as their deskphones so they can make PSTN calls via the local gateway ? Can someone point me to any resources available online that gives an idea about this. 

Thank you in advance.

Abraham

3 Replies 3

Hi,

I haven't seen any regulations related to softphones. I don't think Indian TRAI is considering the difference between deskphone and softphone as this point of time. In my organization we decided to take the safe approach and treat softclients as deskphones

we consulted a telecom agent in Bangalore and he mentioned that there are restrictions for softphones in India and gave this scenario.

A softphone user from Bangalore office goes to Mumbai and connects via VPN. Then if he makes a call to a PSTN number in Bangalore using the Jabber softphone from Mumbai, that call goes out via Bangalore voice gateway. This is a restricted scenario. But he was not able to point us to an official statement. 

Abraham

Even i got the same message from a telecom consultant.  if you get any answer regarding this, please share it.

I will also share if I get the concrete answer from the Consultant.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: