cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

License MAC - VMware

Leonardo Santana
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello i wanna change my CUCM subnet mask, running on VMWARE, i know that i will need to rehost the license for new license mac.

#

Time zone

#

NTP server 1 (or "none")

#

NIC speed (or "auto")

#

Hostname

#

IP Address (or "dhcp")

#

IP Mask (or "dhcp")

#

Gateway Address (or "dhcp")

#

Primary DNS (or "dhcp")

#

SMTP server (or "none")

#

Certificate Information (Organization, Unit, Location, State, Country)

My question is when i change the subnet mask, what will happen with my DLUs for the old License MAC?

The phones will lost register?

Thanks

Regards
Leonardo Santana

*** Rate All Helpful Responses***
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You get a 30 day grace period to get the new license, only after that time, you'll have problems.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

View solution in original post

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Leonardo,

You'd be good to go for 30 days

Customer Impact from New Licensing Procedures

#

Cisco Unified Communications Manager on the Cisco UCS C210 Rack-Mount  Server uses a different licensing model than Cisco Unified  Communications Manager on an MCS server. The MAC address of the NIC card  is no longer used to associate the license to the server.

#

Instead,  the license gets associated to a license MAC, which is a 12 digit HEX  value created by hashing the following parameters that you configure on  the server:

#

Time zone

#

NTP server 1 (or "none")

#

NIC speed (or "auto")

#

Hostname

#

IP Address (or "dhcp")

#

IP Mask (or "dhcp")

#

#

Primary DNS (or "dhcp")

#

SMTP server (or "none")

#

#

The ways to obtain the license MAC are as follows:

#

Before installation, use the Answer File Generator (http://www.cisco.com/web/cuc_afg/index.html). When you generate the answer file, you also get the license MAC.

#

Note If  you use this method, ensure that you enter the identical parameter  values in the Answer File Generator and the Cisco Unified Communications  Manager installation program, or the license will be invalid.

#

After installation, navigate to Show > System in Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration.

#

After installation, use the CLI command show status.

#

Obtaining New Licenses

#

The  process to redeem a Product Activation Key (PAK) for licenses at  www.cisco.com/go/license is changed for a license MAC. When redeeming a  PAK for a license MAC at this URL, you get prompted to select the type  of license that you want to obtain:

#

A physical MAC address — this is used when Cisco Unified Communications Manager will be installed on an MCS server.

#

A  license MAC address — this is used when Cisco Unified Communications  Manager will be installed on Cisco Unified Communications Manager on the  Cisco UCS C210 Rack-Mount Server.

#

After you make this selection, the generation and installation of the license file follows the same process.

##

Obtaining Rehosted Licenses When You Change License MAC Parameters

#

When  you change any of the parameters that create the license MAC, the  license that you obtained with it becomes invalid. You must request a  rehosting of the license to obtain a valid license. The old license  continues to work for a 30-day grace period.

#

To rehost your licenses, you must open a case with the licensing team. Contact the licensing team at licensing@cisco.com.

#

During  the grace period, you can change the settings back to the licensed  values to make your original license valid again. If you need more than  30 days of grace period, change your settings back to the licensed  values, then change them back to the new values that you want to use.  You will get another 30- day grace period.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/rel_notes/8_0_1/delta/vmware.html#wp1058262

Cheers!

Rob

"And if I should fall behind
Wait for me" - Springsteen

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You get a 30 day grace period to get the new license, only after that time, you'll have problems.

HTH

java

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Leonardo,

You'd be good to go for 30 days

Customer Impact from New Licensing Procedures

#

Cisco Unified Communications Manager on the Cisco UCS C210 Rack-Mount  Server uses a different licensing model than Cisco Unified  Communications Manager on an MCS server. The MAC address of the NIC card  is no longer used to associate the license to the server.

#

Instead,  the license gets associated to a license MAC, which is a 12 digit HEX  value created by hashing the following parameters that you configure on  the server:

#

Time zone

#

NTP server 1 (or "none")

#

NIC speed (or "auto")

#

Hostname

#

IP Address (or "dhcp")

#

IP Mask (or "dhcp")

#

#

Primary DNS (or "dhcp")

#

SMTP server (or "none")

#

#

The ways to obtain the license MAC are as follows:

#

Before installation, use the Answer File Generator (http://www.cisco.com/web/cuc_afg/index.html). When you generate the answer file, you also get the license MAC.

#

Note If  you use this method, ensure that you enter the identical parameter  values in the Answer File Generator and the Cisco Unified Communications  Manager installation program, or the license will be invalid.

#

After installation, navigate to Show > System in Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration.

#

After installation, use the CLI command show status.

#

Obtaining New Licenses

#

The  process to redeem a Product Activation Key (PAK) for licenses at  www.cisco.com/go/license is changed for a license MAC. When redeeming a  PAK for a license MAC at this URL, you get prompted to select the type  of license that you want to obtain:

#

A physical MAC address — this is used when Cisco Unified Communications Manager will be installed on an MCS server.

#

A  license MAC address — this is used when Cisco Unified Communications  Manager will be installed on Cisco Unified Communications Manager on the  Cisco UCS C210 Rack-Mount Server.

#

After you make this selection, the generation and installation of the license file follows the same process.

##

Obtaining Rehosted Licenses When You Change License MAC Parameters

#

When  you change any of the parameters that create the license MAC, the  license that you obtained with it becomes invalid. You must request a  rehosting of the license to obtain a valid license. The old license  continues to work for a 30-day grace period.

#

To rehost your licenses, you must open a case with the licensing team. Contact the licensing team at licensing@cisco.com.

#

During  the grace period, you can change the settings back to the licensed  values to make your original license valid again. If you need more than  30 days of grace period, change your settings back to the licensed  values, then change them back to the new values that you want to use.  You will get another 30- day grace period.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/rel_notes/8_0_1/delta/vmware.html#wp1058262

Cheers!

Rob

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Java,

You've trumped me once again my friend +5 for your continuing

stellar support here @ CSC!

Cheers!

Huff

Hello Java and Rob,

Thanks again for the help!

Regards

Leonardo Santana

Regards
Leonardo Santana

Also, be careful not to raise the mask above a /23. The ARP table size has been hard set to 1024 addresses within the OS. Anything higher than that and you'll run into issues when the table fills.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Hello Jonathan

Thanks for this info, do you what type of issues can we face with a mask above /23?

Regards
Leonardo Santana

In theory it would force CUCM to perform an ARP for every packet it wanted to send to an IP that wasn't in it's table. I cannot imagine a legitimate design where you would need a voice server VLAN larger than /24, let alone /23.

Note          The recommendation to limit the number of devices in a single Unified Communications VLAN to approximately 512 is not solely due to the need to control the amount of VLAN broadcast traffic. For Linux-based Unified CM server platforms, the ARP cache has a hard limit of 1024 devices. Installing Unified CM in a VLAN with an IP subnet containing more than 1024 devices can cause the Unified CM server ARP cache to fill up quickly, which can seriously affect communications between the Unified CM server and other Unified Communications endpoints. Even though the ARP cache size on Windows-based Unified CM server platforms expands dynamically, Cisco strongly recommends a limit of 512 devices in any VLAN regardless of the operating system used by the Unified CM server platform.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: