Views
Helpful
Replies

Licensing question for 8900/9900 video phones

d16lee
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I can't seem to get a straight answer on this question.  I was wondering if any special license is required for phone to phone video capability for the 8900/9900 phones, either in the UCL or the CUWL licensing model...

Thanks.

-Dave

8 Replies 8

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

That's probably because Cisco don't know themselves ;-)

I've seen the 89xx/99xx video phones listed at two different licensing levels.

I think we'll only find out for sure once CUCM 9.0 is actually shipping.

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.

i didnt think you needed a license for video on 8900/9900

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

From CUCM 9.0 onwards you do...

GTG

i see..gotcha...oh well..when we get to 13.0...world ends!!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

d16lee
Level 4
Level 4

Cisco UC licensing is often illogical.   That's why I want to make sure. 

Has anyone deployed these phones?  Can they maybe share whether there are any licensing surprises for video, or just license normally as 7900 phones have been licensed?

As we're all still on DLU licensing, there's no surprises. It's when you upgrade to 9.0 that the fun starts.

GTG

As we're all still on DLU licensing, there's no surprises. It's when you upgrade to 9.0 that the fun starts.

This is a dangerous statement to make. CUCM may not be capable of enforcing the UCL- or UWL-based licensing models; however, customers purchasing under either are still legally bound to the limitations of that program today.

To answer the question posed here: If you purchase under a UWL licensing model the video capabilities of the 9900 series phones are included in the Standard or Professional seat license. If you purchase under the UCL model the 9900 series phones are considered Enhanced endpoints. In this case you would need an Enhanced or better user license regardless of whether you want to use the camera or not.

Partners only: The Ordering Guide for Cisco IP Communications 8.5, UCL-based explains this around page 18-19.

Please rate helpful replies.

great point Jonathan!!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW