cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Location - 'Not enough bandwidth'-message on IP-phones

gfolens
Level 4
Level 4

When CAC (Call Admission Control) Locations & Regions are activated on CUCM and there's not enough bandwidth available for a new call the 79XX phones displays 'Not enough bandwidth available".

This seems not to be the case for the 69xx and 89XX types of phones. There you get an announcement "the call can not be completed". Is this a bug in the phoneload?

The same is true for the EX60/90 (TE & TC), MX, C and SX series (TC) of video endpoints that can be registered to CUCM. Also a phoneload bug?

Very confusing for the user who thinks there's an outage on the PBX system or PSTN...

rgds, Geert Folens.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I see the same behavior, on a 6945 I get a busy tone same as an 8961 phone with the message "Unable to setup call".   Digging into this I found that this was done on purpose (CSCtt04460).   What you have to do to show a more meaningful message on the phone is  change the Cisco CallManager service parameter "Out-of-Bandwidth Text" from the default of "Not Enough Bandwidth"  to anything else other than the default value.  If the default value is  used the "Unable to setup call" is shown.  If you change the service  parameter to "Not Enough Bandwidth2" you will see "Not Enough Bandwidth2" on all the phones.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Joseph Martini
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What CUCM version and what phone load/phone model of 79XX are you seeing this with?

CUCM v8.6(2)su2

7965 load:SCCP45 9.2.3

6941: SCCP 9.3.1.3

8941: SCCP 9.3.2.11

Thank you, I'm trying this out now to see if I get the same result.

I see the same behavior, on a 6945 I get a busy tone same as an 8961 phone with the message "Unable to setup call".   Digging into this I found that this was done on purpose (CSCtt04460).   What you have to do to show a more meaningful message on the phone is  change the Cisco CallManager service parameter "Out-of-Bandwidth Text" from the default of "Not Enough Bandwidth"  to anything else other than the default value.  If the default value is  used the "Unable to setup call" is shown.  If you change the service  parameter to "Not Enough Bandwidth2" you will see "Not Enough Bandwidth2" on all the phones.

And what about the video endpoints running TC/TE software?

The TC/TE endpoints were originally made by tandberg so they likely do function differently.  If they function like the 89XX/69XX phones I would say they are most likely working as intended.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: