Views
Helpful
Replies

Logical PARTITION to be Audited - Best practice to capture the calling samples

sabir.bedi1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Team ,

I want to perform an audit for a customer wherin logical partitioning is done to separate their VoIP and PSTN Network Can you guide me what all tests can be done with calling scenerios to test this in their environment?

eg. call frwd to mobile - shud work or not as per TRAI

Call transfer - should work or not

i need detailed scope for Audit ,to perform tests to see if the logical partitioning is correctly done or NOT

Can someone provide me such checklist to follow  to test the logical partitioning in a production environment 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Sabir,

Irrespective of how lines are configured, since the same phone is being used for both VoIP and PSTN calls, there is a chance that you end up with merging of VoIP (/WAN) and PSTN call as a result of conference, transfer, forward etc. That is where logical partitioning restricts those specific scenarios.

- Vivek

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

The Cisco Unified Reporting >Geolocation Policy Report can help you identify policies that overlap.

Find the below link helpful 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/voice-unified-communications/unified-communications-manager-callmanager/116038-logical-partition-geolocation-00.html

Regards

Abhay Reyal

Regards
Abhay Singh Reyal
The Only Way To Do Great Work Is To Love What You Do. If You Haven’t Found It Yet, Keep Looking. Don’t Settle

Hi ,

What all calling scenerios i can test in production to test the logical partitioning

Customer has two line set up ,one for VoIP and one for PSTN but i can not find any geolocation configuration there

so ideally what is the best way to check by testing calls to see if TRAI Regulations are followed in enterprise or NOT

In short ,Checklist of Whats allowed and Whats not allowed to be checked

can you list down them please  

Hi Sabir,

Please check the following blog to check for allowed and not allowed cases in brief.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/blog/12539601/trai-india-regulations-voipip-telephony

- Vivek

Hi Vivek Batra ,

Is this Applicable for customer with dual lines configuration ?

Example 

Line 1 for PSTN  for calling 

Line 2  to for VoIP Calling 

They have already separated their VoIP and PSTN network on IP Phones and are using the separate gateways as well ?

Does in this scenerio the above rules are applicable for PSTN Lines as well ?Since they are in IP Network .

Yes, it is allowed..that is why we implement logical partitioning. Once upon a time It was not allowed (might be before 2006).

Please rate all useful posts :-)

Suresh

Hi Suresh Kumar ,

I didnt get that .Apologies 

I was asking is this applicable to PSTN Lines as well on IP Phones ?

All cfwds ,transfers over other region  > Allowed or NOT 

Hi Suresh Kumar ,

I didnt get that .Apologies 

I was asking is this applicable to PSTN Lines as well on IP Phones ?

All cfwds ,transfers over other region  > Allowed or NOT 

Hello Sabir,

Let me rephrase it again for you, pls rate all useful posts.

Is this Applicable for customer with dual lines configuration ? Yes it is, If customer is using same phone for pstn & voip then only we need to implement logical partitioning. Earlier customer used to use separate phones for pstn & voip and separate call managers.

They have already separated their VoIP and PSTN network on IP Phones and are using the separate gateways as well ? ---- Not necessary to use separate gateway for pstn & voip calls, you can use single gateway but call routing should be defined in such a way that pstn & voip calls not get merged (confr, trnfr, fwd).

Does in this scenerio the above rules are applicable for PSTN Lines as well ?Since they are in IP Network . didn't understand this, is customer having E1 PRIs for PSTN ?

Suresh

Hi Sabir,

Irrespective of how lines are configured, since the same phone is being used for both VoIP and PSTN calls, there is a chance that you end up with merging of VoIP (/WAN) and PSTN call as a result of conference, transfer, forward etc. That is where logical partitioning restricts those specific scenarios.

- Vivek

Suresh Hudda
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Generally I test below scenarios to test logical partitioning (PSTN & VoIP mixing).

Test 1: Establish an Incoming / Outgoing call through PSTN network from or to the IP phone. Try to Transfer the call to a other extension in other location through VoIP Network. 

Expected result: Call manager should not allow the call to get transferred

Test 2: Establish an Incoming / Outgoing call through PSTN network from or to the IP phone. Try to conference the call to a other extension in other location through VoIP Network. 

Expected result: Call manager should not allow the call to get conferenced.

Test 3: Configure a callmanager phone (Phone “A”) as such all the calls to be forwarded to a phone (Phone “B”) in another location connected using VoIP Network and Try to make an Incoming call to Phone “A” using PSTN Network.

Expected result: Call should not be forwarded to the Phone “B” using VoIP Network. 

Test 4: Calling Voice mail application through PSTN and dial out VoIP lines. 

Expected result: The call should not be allowed. 

For more information please go through below link.

http://www.trai.gov.in/WriteReadData/Recommendation/Documents/recom18aug08.pdf

Hope this helps you !!!

Suresh

Hi Suresh Kumar ,

The information you shared is indeed Useful.

But my customer has separate VoIP and PSTN Lines in their Enterprise and they do not have geolocations configured 

How can i test in that case please ?

Hi Sabir,

The test cases which I have mentioned here are not specific to Cisco callmanager (so you may ignore geolocations), these tests can be performed in any EPBX where customer have pstn and voip lines to call.

Suresh

Ok Suresh Kumar ,

So these Test cases are based on TRAI Regulations ,right ?

Even if i separate my Lines ,this should be applicable ?

But is that the if they have separate IP Gateways and PSTN Gateways ?Is this possible

i have heard that some OSP LIcense is required from SP ,to enable this .

Yes these tests are applicable in any case, TRAI doesn't allow call forwarding, transfer & conference between PSTN & VoIP lines (whether is Gateway is common or separate).

I think OSP license you need when you dial international numbers on IP, may be someone else can explain it here regarding OSP.

Suresh 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: