cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Looking for creative help with Extension Mobility

Mark Miller
Level 1
Level 1

Hello! I have a UCUM 8.6 cluster which includes UCCX 8.6 running in a healthcare clinic. Our front desk staff uses 7962 phones. We are using Extension Mobility in one of our departments which allows the agent to login to the phone and then login to UCCX using the desktop agent and all of her extension numbers, voicemail shortcuts, speed dials, etc. are available to her as well as being connected to the proper calling queue in UCCX.     

We would like to use our Cisco system to replace an aging Nortel system in one of our other buildings, but I cannot figure out how to program Extension Mobility to cover all of our needs in the new building. I want the agents to be able to login to the phone to get their own personal extension information, just like we have setup in our exisiting departments. The challenge comes in that we also have agents who "float" from department to department, depending on the level of patient needs. We might have 2 agents permanently assigned to Pediatrics, say, but Tuesday is going to be a high volume day for patients so we are going to have 3 agents on Tuesday. The 3rd agent will need access to the voicemail shortcuts and speed dials of the Pediatrics department, but she will also need her own extension number to link back to UCCX. Tomorrow, however, she may be working in Family Practice, so she will need the voicemail shortcuts, speed dials, etc for Family Practice, along with her own extension. I don't want to have to give each "float" a special EM profile for each department and then have to remember which login they have to use depending on where they are working that day.

What I am hoping for is a way to design an extension mobility profile so that a user can login to a phone but only the first line or maybe the first 2 lines change with the profile, while the remaining lines continue to be the voicemail shortcuts and speed dials needed for the department. Is there a way to assign button profiles to a phone where some of them remain static?

Thanks for any thoughts that you might have!           

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Welsh
Level 4
Level 4

I don't believe it's possible to combine line details from multiple sources to a single device profile other than implimenting something programatically as custom applicaiton, not a simple task

I would recomend you create multiple 'per department' device profiles for each user, but impliment a way to make it simple/consistent for users to login with the correct profile.

The easyist way would be to include a short department code in the Device Profile name i.e.

JBLOGGS_PED - Pediatrics

JBLOGGS_PRA - Practice

Becuase the user has multiple profiles they will be given the choice to choose the relevant one, for example:

Not the best solution as it's open to user error

Alternatively if you are happy to write a simple web application you could leverage the following information:

The Extension Mobility URL the phone uses to login is actually quite basic and includes the following query string parameters:

nameDevice Name
useridUsers login ID
seqUsers PIN number
devProfThe Device Profile to login (if there is more than one)

So the following URL would login JBloggs to the Pediatrics Device Profile:

http://publisher:8080/emapp/EMAppServlet?device=#DEVICENAME#&userid=jbloggs&seq=12345&devProf=JBLOGGS_PED

So you could create a small web application that effecively replaces the normal Extension Mobility XML Pages to inset an additional logic to select/choose the relevant department/profile

Thanks

Stephen Welsh

CTO

http://www.unifiedfx.com

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Stephen Welsh
Level 4
Level 4

I don't believe it's possible to combine line details from multiple sources to a single device profile other than implimenting something programatically as custom applicaiton, not a simple task

I would recomend you create multiple 'per department' device profiles for each user, but impliment a way to make it simple/consistent for users to login with the correct profile.

The easyist way would be to include a short department code in the Device Profile name i.e.

JBLOGGS_PED - Pediatrics

JBLOGGS_PRA - Practice

Becuase the user has multiple profiles they will be given the choice to choose the relevant one, for example:

Not the best solution as it's open to user error

Alternatively if you are happy to write a simple web application you could leverage the following information:

The Extension Mobility URL the phone uses to login is actually quite basic and includes the following query string parameters:

nameDevice Name
useridUsers login ID
seqUsers PIN number
devProfThe Device Profile to login (if there is more than one)

So the following URL would login JBloggs to the Pediatrics Device Profile:

http://publisher:8080/emapp/EMAppServlet?device=#DEVICENAME#&userid=jbloggs&seq=12345&devProf=JBLOGGS_PED

So you could create a small web application that effecively replaces the normal Extension Mobility XML Pages to inset an additional logic to select/choose the relevant department/profile

Thanks

Stephen Welsh

CTO

http://www.unifiedfx.com

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the response. I will probably go the the route of multiple profiles for each user, using the profile name to separate and make it easier to choose. I was hoping that there might be a "magic" way of saving myself some work (100+ users, 15 or so possible departments), but this sounds like it will be the better way to go.

Mark

EM replaces whatever configuration the phone had and has no record of it nor can it use it.

There's no way to retain some of the phone config and just replace the lines with the EM profile.

You're not the first one trying to do this, but there's no way with the current EM implementation.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: