Views
Helpful
Replies

Looking for Router Model Suggestion - VoIP Gateway

pdvcisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We currently use the 2821 to terminate an Internet SIP trunk and pass the traffic to an internal SIP server.  As I don't need as robust of a router with a new deployment, I'm looking for the same functionality but with a less expensive option than the 2821, with a Cisco router.  We'll be using this router as a test harness, so the load will be extremely low and will likely ONLY act as the Media/VoIP gateway for this SIP Trunk to SIP server traffic.

Any suggestions on the router for this task?

Thanks,

Dan

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

clileikis
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Dan,

Depending on how complex and what kinds of SIP features you are looking for, you could do some basic SIP trunking config with something like a 2620XM with the memory fully upgraded. That would be the one extreme in terms of cost savings. I would probably recommend getting a 2801 or 2811 for longevity and more functionality, as well as access to the 15 level of IOS.

HTH,

Chris

Please rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

What exact IOS image are you running on your 2821.  My only concern is that a lot of the 15 IOS images require atleast 512 DRAM.  The 2801 only expands up to 384MB of DRAM, however the 2811 does go up to 768MB, so it may be a better option for you.

On the 2801, 15.x images only requires 384MB. The 2801 has smaller memory footprint images not having any NMx support. They load fine, work fine, and leave plenty of memory for any use.

All this said, if buying new, I would get a 2901 instead.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

vandana
Level 1
Level 1

HI Dan,

To test Cube functionality, followings are option:

The Cisco Unified Border Element is an integrated Cisco IOS Software application that runs on the Cisco 2900,3900 and 3900E Series Integrated Services Routers, Cisco 2800 and 3800 Series Integrated Services Routers, Cisco 7200 Series Routers, Cisco 7301 Router, and Cisco AS5350XM and AS5400XM Media Gateways. Previous versions of the software also ran on the Cisco 2600 Series Multiservice Platforms and Cisco 3700 Series Multiservice Access Routers. Today, the Cisco Unified Border Element is used as an IP-to-IP gateway by enterprises and commercial customers to interconnect SIP and H.323 voice and video networks.

Thanks,

Vandana

clileikis
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Dan,

Depending on how complex and what kinds of SIP features you are looking for, you could do some basic SIP trunking config with something like a 2620XM with the memory fully upgraded. That would be the one extreme in terms of cost savings. I would probably recommend getting a 2801 or 2811 for longevity and more functionality, as well as access to the 15 level of IOS.

HTH,

Chris

Please rate helpful posts

Chris,

We are currently on 15 IOS with the 2821 routers, and it would be nice to keep the same version. If I'm reading it correctly - 2801 is the best option for cost/fuctionality there is.

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan,

What exact IOS image are you running on your 2821.  My only concern is that a lot of the 15 IOS images require atleast 512 DRAM.  The 2801 only expands up to 384MB of DRAM, however the 2811 does go up to 768MB, so it may be a better option for you.

Here's the data sheet of the 2800's which includes the hardware differences:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5854/ps5882/product_data_sheet0900aecd8016fa68_ps5854_Products_Data_Sheet.html

I'd probably go with the 2811 at a minimum simply for expandability and having the opportunity to expand to larger IOS images. 

HTH,

Chris

On the 2801, 15.x images only requires 384MB. The 2801 has smaller memory footprint images not having any NMx support. They load fine, work fine, and leave plenty of memory for any use.

All this said, if buying new, I would get a 2901 instead.

You answered my next thought, pricing for 28XX vs. 29XX is negligable and it seems the 29XX has better specs, and again that is in the NEW catagory.

Thanks,

Dan

You're welcome, thanks for the nice rating and good luck!

Thanks Paulo, didn't notice that the 2801 images were smaller without the NM support. +5!

Chris

Hi Chris,

We are running and AdvanceServicesk9 (not even sure that is required for our config but it came on the router (CDW) and I've just always re-loaded the same version).

I see from this page how to verify the DRAM required for each IOS

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1834/products_tech_note09186a00800fb9d9.shtml#memory

As you state, I see some take 384 and others 256 (didn't see any 512). So as you say, I'll look toward pricing out a 2811.

Thanks,

Dan