Views
Helpful
Replies

Loopback0 vs. "Backup interface GigabitEthernetx/x" for redundance

syed shahid
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am a voice engineer. To configure MGCP gateways I have used the Cisco standard method of creating a loopback interface specially when there are redundant switch connections, e.g. GigabitEthernet0/0 and GigabitEthernet0/0.  Can anybody please explain if I use "backup interface" method, would it work same way.  The backup interface method also has a backup delay, not sure what is default, but secondary interface won't be active until the delay elapses.  If I configure "no backup delay" would there still be an event for MGCP?  Can somebody please share their experience?

3 Replies 3

yahsiel2004
Level 7
Level 7

I personally have my MGCP GWs configured with "backup interface" and it works just fine. I haven't tried configuring the backup interface without delay.

Regards,

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh

If your primary interface fails, is there an event for MGCP? What happens to active calls?

Update: I just found that the default delay is 0 seconds (that means "no backup delay" is not required to be explicitly added, so I assume the MGCP gateway should not experience any impact at all. If you done this testing in your environment, please confirm.

And thanks a lot for quick reply!

The calls remain up and I don't recall seeing an MGCP event.

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh