Views
Helpful
Replies

Maximum Conference Calls 8831

Sebast123
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

We are planning for a BE6k solution with 8900 and 7800 series phones and 8831 conference phones. 2901 Voice Gateway with additional 32 Channel additional PVDM3 with 12 analog PSTN lines.

One of our requirement is to have more than 10 party audio conference call with 9 external recipients. Is this possible with the solution and the DSP resources are fine?

As per the 8831 user guide, maximum number of participants that can be displayed is 16 but Maximum outbound calls support is 6. So, does that mean that we can only have 6 dialed out calls in the conference and remaining calls can be inbound received calls.

What is the best way to achieve this solution.

Thanks much.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Considering you have just CUCM and no conferencing applications, you can have either a Meet me or adhoc conference. Meet me will need you to dial a meet me number (it will open the bridge) and rest of the participants dial that number and are joined into conference. Its conigurable Service parameter in CUCM if using CUCM software bridge. (i think the limit is 128 participants)

Adhoc is when you dial someone, then press conference button. I think the limit for this type of conference is 64 (using CUCM software bridge). This is again configurable service param in CUCM with default value something like 4 or 6.

For both type of conf. you can use hardware based bridge, max number of participants will be dependant on resources available and configured.

Difference between hardware and software is - software based bridge only supports G711 so if you have call having different codecs (like G729) then you need a hardware based conf bridge which is capable of mixing streams of different codecs.

-Terry

Please rate all helpful posts

View solution in original post

To clarify further, read this from the guide you are talking about:

Multiple calls per line

The conference station has a single line and supports a maximum of 6 calls. Unless you are in a conference, only one call can be connected at any time; other calls are automatically placed on hold.

The 6 number limit you are talking about is lets say you call A, then press new call and call B, call to A will automatically be put over hold. Then call another person C, Calls to A and B are put on hold automatically so you can up to 6 different calls on phone simultaneously.

However if you dial A, then conference B, Then C this is a single conference call.

I hope this clears your doubts.

Please do rate all helpful posts and mark the thread as answered if you have no other queries.

-Terry

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Terry Cheema
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Maximum outbound calls from same line is 6. But you dont need to dial more than once from the same line to participate in a conference. The number of conferences you can have will depend on the DSP/hardware conference bridge. 

-Terry

Dear Terry,

Thanks for your prompt response.

In a single conference, if we need to include about 9-10 external users, then I guess I can only dial out to 6 numbers and include them in the conference. how about the other users, do I have to ask them to call me.

Is there is better way to create a conference as per my requirement.

Considering you have just CUCM and no conferencing applications, you can have either a Meet me or adhoc conference. Meet me will need you to dial a meet me number (it will open the bridge) and rest of the participants dial that number and are joined into conference. Its conigurable Service parameter in CUCM if using CUCM software bridge. (i think the limit is 128 participants)

Adhoc is when you dial someone, then press conference button. I think the limit for this type of conference is 64 (using CUCM software bridge). This is again configurable service param in CUCM with default value something like 4 or 6.

For both type of conf. you can use hardware based bridge, max number of participants will be dependant on resources available and configured.

Difference between hardware and software is - software based bridge only supports G711 so if you have call having different codecs (like G729) then you need a hardware based conf bridge which is capable of mixing streams of different codecs.

-Terry

Thanks for your detailed replies Terry. Much appreciated. thanks.

No Worries - glad that helped. Please feel free to post back in case you have any further queries.

-Terry

To clarify further, read this from the guide you are talking about:

Multiple calls per line

The conference station has a single line and supports a maximum of 6 calls. Unless you are in a conference, only one call can be connected at any time; other calls are automatically placed on hold.

The 6 number limit you are talking about is lets say you call A, then press new call and call B, call to A will automatically be put over hold. Then call another person C, Calls to A and B are put on hold automatically so you can up to 6 different calls on phone simultaneously.

However if you dial A, then conference B, Then C this is a single conference call.

I hope this clears your doubts.

Please do rate all helpful posts and mark the thread as answered if you have no other queries.

-Terry

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: