Views
Helpful
Replies

MCS 7835-i3 RAID rebuilding

colan.haisell
Level 1
Level 1

G'day,

I have a few new MCS 7835-i3 which are made by IBM. As you can imagine there are many differences between these and the HP manufactured MCS's that I am familiar with.

Particularly the only way I can get the RAID 1 array to rebuild is when MCS is rebooted (after inserting new HDD) then interrupt the boot sequence and enter the GUI for the RAID controller, set the new HDD to 'unconfigured good' and remain in this GUI until the rebuild is 100%

Any suggestions?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Have you tried?

how to rebuild Raid on MCS 7835

1. Restart the MCS 7835

2. Interrupt the boot process by pressing Cntrl H

3. You will enter the GUI forthe RAID controller

3. Tab down to configuration wizard

4. press enter

5. Choose either manual or automatic.

- Choose automatic for optimal setup (RAID 5)

6. follow prompt

7. Done!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Joseph Martini
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Check out this guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/trouble/8_0_1/tbsystem.html#wp1190618, according to this you shouldn't have to reboot an MCS7835-I3 at all to rebuild RAID.  Does this not work properly for you, which is why you have to reboot and go into the RAID controller?

Hello,

Thanks for the reply and the link to that document. I have had some trouble finding doco for MCS 7835-i3.

Yeah that is exactly what is not working as described in the document. I am not sure if I have mis-configured the RAID software or if I need to install some other software. My MCS 7835-i3 are out of the box and this is the first time they are being configured or having CUCM installed.

Regards,

Col

We have found that the following is required to rebuild the array:

1. Restart the MCS 7835-i3;
  2. Interrupt the boot process (control + H) to enter the GUI for the RAID controller;
  3. Change the new HDD from 'foriegn' and 'unconfigured-bad' to 'unconfigured-good' basically telling the Controller about the new HDD;
  4. Exit RAID controller GUI and restart; and
  5. Let the MCS boot all the way and then the RAID 1 rebuilds.

Pretty untidy compared to my MCS 7825-h3 which just rebuilds the RAID 1 array upon insertion of the new HDD.

I will leave this open for a few days and hopefully someone awesome will read it and let me know I am doing something the wrong way and that there is a much easier way then the steps above.

Regards,

Col

colan.haisell
Level 1
Level 1

Hmmm, can I only close the discussion if someone has the 'Correct Answer'?

Have you tried?

how to rebuild Raid on MCS 7835

1. Restart the MCS 7835

2. Interrupt the boot process by pressing Cntrl H

3. You will enter the GUI forthe RAID controller

3. Tab down to configuration wizard

4. press enter

5. Choose either manual or automatic.

- Choose automatic for optimal setup (RAID 5)

6. follow prompt

7. Done!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: