cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

mcs or non mcs

mymite060708
Level 1
Level 1

are they any benefits using MCS hardware over IBM or HP own servers?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Dave,

I do prefer using Cisco branded MCS servers over the non-MCS versions primarily due to support issues. If you are having a problem that may be server related and open a TAC case you won't be referred to the 3rd party (HP or IBM) for resolution. There is "ownership" within the case with MCS boxes. I have also found that the Hardware testing/verification phase of the install goes much smoother with the Cisco branded servers. We do know that both MCS and non-MCS boxes are supported for installs, so this is just my preference :)

Supported Cisco Unified Communications Manager Releases by Server

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/ps5748/ps378/prod_brochure0900aecd8062a4f9.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Even if there were, installing CUCM or CUPS on it will not get passed the hardware check on installation. So installing them on non Cisco branded servers is not an option

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Dave,

I do prefer using Cisco branded MCS servers over the non-MCS versions primarily due to support issues. If you are having a problem that may be server related and open a TAC case you won't be referred to the 3rd party (HP or IBM) for resolution. There is "ownership" within the case with MCS boxes. I have also found that the Hardware testing/verification phase of the install goes much smoother with the Cisco branded servers. We do know that both MCS and non-MCS boxes are supported for installs, so this is just my preference :)

Supported Cisco Unified Communications Manager Releases by Server

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/ps5748/ps378/prod_brochure0900aecd8062a4f9.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

If you do decide to go with direct HP or IBM servers, be sure to review the following link carefully. It contains the proper part numbers and ordering instructions to get the "exact equivalent" hardware to be supported.

http://cisco.com/go/swonly

jebrooker
Level 4
Level 4

I've found the IBM or HP correct part numbers are getting more and more difficult to find. As Cisco releases new server specs, those part numbers are usually already discontinued with the manufacturer.

Cisco has documented all of the part numbers (see my previous posting in this thread). The part numbers are frequently hidden to the average HP rep but are orderable if you know them and follow the process exactly.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: