Views
Helpful
Replies

Measure VoIP performance

master001
Level 2
Level 2

Hi all,

There are lots of tools to measure VoIP performance( i.e.MoS )  in the market, such as NetIQ. 

I am wondering : 

. Is any way to make test call and test VoIP performance ? free or low cost tools?  

.  Will the command "csim start xxx " help ?  Any other command/tool required as well?

Thank you in advance. Your reply and input is highly appreciated.

Best regards, 

Master001     

5 Replies 5

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi 

NetIQ is a very powerful tool. However, if you don't want to invest on a product and do some testing there are several ways to achieve that. here are some of them:

• If using Cisco IP Phones, there are some statistics on the phone itself with MOS value as well.
  • You can use iPerf. You can found out there on internet a lot of tutorial explaining how to use it
  • You can use also Cisco IOS capabilities (IP SLA). Here a link: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/availability/high-availability/24121-saa.html
  • Using PRTG (available in the free version)
  • If you have a CUCM, you can also use Solarwinds Call Detail Record Tracker. Actually, it will just download all CDR from the CUCM and show up a report with VOIP Quality and MOS value
  • If you already have a NAM (Network Analysis Module) then you can use it otherwise it will have a cost.

This command "csim start" is use to test outbound calls but you won't be able to do an assessment of VoIP by getting right values.

Thanks

PS: Please don't forget to rate and mark as correct answer if this answered your question

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Appreciated your message Francesco.

The organization plan to migrate MPLS to SD-WAN.  So I will need to measure VoIP performance before and after the migration. 

Based on your experience, what is best practice to measure/test via the above tools ?  

Thanks again. 

Master001

Hi

It's not a matter of experience only but also a matter of budget. If it's one time, I bet your company won't invest in tools with some cost associated.

Anyhow, I like tools but I'm using a lot of free tools like I said on my previous post. I also use a kit with a CME or CUCM (small VM) and 2 phones to do real tests.

Combining that with ipsla, iperf and free prig, you will be able to get something reliable for sure maybe not with a look and fill that NetIQ can provide. But that doesn't matter I guess, you don't want to give this report to a final customer but just keep it for you :-)

Hope that answers your question.

Thanks

PS: Please don't forget to rate and mark as correct answer if this answered your question

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Hi,

Solarwinds is having VQM module which is cheap and provides good data. Its based on IP SLA VoIP operation where it can simulate G711 or G729 codec call and poll the stats of latency, jitter, packet loss and MOS score.

This is the cheapest I found and provide very good level of historical reporting.

Thanks Mohammed.      I do take a look at Solarwinds,  it doesn't support SIP... it is weird.  

Master001