cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MGCP fm-package

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

What does the fm MGCP package provide? I see mention of it relating to DTMF, but nothing definitive.

Thanks,

Gordon.

Please rate all helpful posts.
4 Replies 4

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
fm-package is required for RFC2833 usage with MGCP and/or MGCP-SIP interworking. There are two variants of this i.e. NTE-CA and NTE-GW.
In GW-controlled mode, GWs negotiate DTMF transmission and RTP PT values by exchanging capability information in SDP messages. That transmission is transparent to the CA. For this, both ends/GWs should be running MGCP and connected to same CUCM.

In CA-controlled mode, CA/UCM will negotiate DTMF relay capabilities on behalf of the gateways (SDP messages are sent to CA). This is a must when the other GW/Endpoint is non-MGCP. After negotiation, CA will instruct MGCP gateway to use the agreed RTP-NTE values.

I'm confused. I have two MGCP gateways in NTE-CA mode for DTMF relay. One has the fm-package enabled, and the other doesn't. Strangely, on the gateway that does NOT have fm-package enabled, DTMF works fine.

????

Please rate all helpful posts.

Do you have a MGCP-SIP inter-working ? On the gateway where you do not have this enabled, does DTMF work using RFC2833 ? Is there a noticeable difference b/w the call flows for both the setups ?

This is the best in terms of documentation related to fm-package -

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/voice/vcr3/vcr3-cr-book/vcr-m1.html#wp5486792020