cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MGCP gateway name change - how to go about?

ken.montgomery
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I have a successful, long term Call Manager deployment with a MGCP gateway at a remote site (2911 Router with 1 T1-PRI). 

So, the problem is the naming scheme needs changed on teh router.  I went into the Call Manager and it has the device named in it, same as the hostname on the router.  The router does not have a domain name configured. 

For this example, let's say the gateway name is VoiceGateway01.  I changed it using the hostname command to NewGateway02.  I went into Call Manager and changed the name (it is entered with a name, not IP address) to NewGateway02.  It won't accept or process calls. 

I changed everything back, calls process fine.

Thing is, the Call Manager cannot ping it by name.  So how is it resolving the name?  Is there something in the MGCP registration I'm missing (shouldn't it register the name when contacting call manager, thus making it work after both were changed?)

Any suggestions/thoughts are appreciated...

Ken

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

CiscoRunner
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Ken,

I am pretty sure I have done this in the past without too much hassle. When you change the hostname on router and then go to CUCM and change it there, make sure you have RESET the gateway from CUCM. Sometimes it needs a kick before it will re-register the gw.

Best way to do it would be to first, go to the router and do 'no mgcp'. Then change the hostname. GO to CUCM and change hostname there (make sure domain is same). Then go back to router and do 'mgcp'.

Do 'show ccm' on the router to verify the router has registered with cucm again.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

yahsiel2004
Level 7
Level 7

When you changed the name of the gateway to NewGateway02. Did you reset the GW?

HTH

Regards,

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh

Yes, multiple times to insure it would have re-registered.

Did the GW show as registered to CUCM, using the "show ccm-manager" command?

HTH

Regards,

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh

Hi ,

Can u share the router config  along output of commands?

a. show ccm-manager hosts

b. show ccm-manager

Please try configuring the command ip host hostname of CUCM x.x.x.x[ip address of CUCM] in MGCP router.

regds,

aman

CiscoRunner
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Ken,

I am pretty sure I have done this in the past without too much hassle. When you change the hostname on router and then go to CUCM and change it there, make sure you have RESET the gateway from CUCM. Sometimes it needs a kick before it will re-register the gw.

Best way to do it would be to first, go to the router and do 'no mgcp'. Then change the hostname. GO to CUCM and change hostname there (make sure domain is same). Then go back to router and do 'mgcp'.

Do 'show ccm' on the router to verify the router has registered with cucm again.

This worked fine... should have thought of unregistering it first.  Thanks CiscoRunner.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: