cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MGCP / H323 failover

b_ferguson
Level 1
Level 1

Customer has 3 sites, 3 CUCM servers and 1 unity cxn server.  The 2 CUCM servers are at the remote sites with the pub / unity cxn server is at the main site.  Not my design, just trying to resolve the issue with the failover in a WAN failure.  All auto attendants reside on unity cxn of course.  I'm trying to get the calls to route over PSTN in the event of a WAN failure but not succeeding.  I thought that by removing the MGCP failover commands so that when the WAN fails the h323 commands would take over on the router would work but they do not.  Any one have any suggestions on what I could do in order to get this work properly.

11 Replies 11

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

if th eGW configured in CM as MGCP

and also the H323 dialpeers configured with ccallmanager-fallback enabled (SRST)

then once callmanager is not reachable by the phones they will use the CUCM SRST settings/refernce to register to the GW then it will be operating as SRST/H323 VGW

HTH

That link might work, I have all the h323 dial-peers already configured on the router, problem is that the router is just a voice gateway and does not have the licenses for SRST and the phones never go into fallback since the CUCM server that they are registered to is located at their site not the main site.

Christopher,

Trying to summarise this set up

SITE A:-

Phones

2 xSUB CUCM

SITE B any Phones ?

PUB CUCM

UNITY CONNS

Which sites have the gateways ?

Regards

Alex 

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

then why you need the fallback in this case if you have the CUCM located with the phones and VGW ?

Here is the layout. 

Site A - Main (phones, gateway, Unity Cxn, Pub)

Site B - Phones, gateway (voice bundle, not SRST bundle) and Sub

Site C - Phones, gateway (voice bundle, not SRST bundle) and Sub

Site B and C have AA on the Unity server.  When a wan failure occurs, I'm trying to route the call over the PSTN so that the call in user still hears the AA or if I could just get the call to route to the receptionist at the remote sites and bypass the AA in a WAN failure that would be fine too

They also have a Site D with phones and an SRST gateway and this scenario works great with no problems, have the gateway configured as MGCP and callmanager-fallback and all works as expected.  The remote sites not having the SRST feature set as well as having a Sub is throwing a wrench in this scenario. 

I was able to get this to work, after further testing.  i was able to route to the call to an 1800 number during failover, the site where i was calling needed an LD code so this scenario might have been working during my initial testing.  Thanks for the suggestions though.

how you get it working ?

if in each site there is a CUCM ad if the wan link is down the GW and phones will still use the local CUCM for call routing not sure could you please explain your solutions

Within my MGCP configuration I put the IP address of the Pub and I configured no redundant hosts within the configuration.  I then have a spare DID at the main location where I configured it to translate to the AA for the remote site.  On the remote site router I used the num-exp command to translate the main number to this spare DID over the PSTN.  Phones are still registered to the local CM server so no failover on the phones, just MGCP failover on the gateway.

nice work around 5+

Christopher

Excellent work 5 ++

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: