Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrate CUCM database from 4.1.3 to 8.5

john_lee
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Would like to know who can help on this.

Recently my customer want to migrate their CUCM 4.1.3 to CUCM 8.5. If they purchase CUCM 8.5, have any tool allow me to migrate their existing database to new CUCM? I had check Cisco web and current upgrade tools only support until CUCM 7.1.5. Please let me know have any latest tools which allow me migrate existing database to new CUCM.

Thank you.

Regards,

John

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Roman Rodichev
Level 7
Level 7

You can't migrate directly to 8.5. Here are the high level steps, but you should still refer to documentation for detailed steps:

1. Make sure your 4.1.3 is running latest SR

2. Make sure your 4.1.3 OS is the latest Cisco's OS version and SR

3. Install DMA 7.1.3 or 7.1.5 on publisher

4. Run DMA export on publisher

5. Install CM 7.1.3 or 7.1.5 on the new servers or a VM (assuming old servers don't support 8.5)

6. During installation import DMA export tar file (it's ok to use a new ip and hostname for the installation)

7. No need to have CM 7 software license

8. DMA export license will convert into new license for # of nodes and # of device license units

9. Upgrade CM 7.1.3 or 7.1.5 directly to the latest 8.5.1SUx

10. Take the PAK on the paper license for CM 8.x upgrade, submit to the licensing team and obtain CM 8.x software activation license, and import the license in CM 8.5

11. Install CM 8.5 subscriber from scratch and add to the cluster

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Roman Rodichev
Level 7
Level 7

You can't migrate directly to 8.5. Here are the high level steps, but you should still refer to documentation for detailed steps:

1. Make sure your 4.1.3 is running latest SR

2. Make sure your 4.1.3 OS is the latest Cisco's OS version and SR

3. Install DMA 7.1.3 or 7.1.5 on publisher

4. Run DMA export on publisher

5. Install CM 7.1.3 or 7.1.5 on the new servers or a VM (assuming old servers don't support 8.5)

6. During installation import DMA export tar file (it's ok to use a new ip and hostname for the installation)

7. No need to have CM 7 software license

8. DMA export license will convert into new license for # of nodes and # of device license units

9. Upgrade CM 7.1.3 or 7.1.5 directly to the latest 8.5.1SUx

10. Take the PAK on the paper license for CM 8.x upgrade, submit to the licensing team and obtain CM 8.x software activation license, and import the license in CM 8.5

11. Install CM 8.5 subscriber from scratch and add to the cluster

Hi Roman Rodichev,

Thanks for your consult. Your way is the easy way and shorter time for me used to completed the migration.

Thank you.

John

on a side note, i used an application from a vendor called Visionael, IPTAS...it took me very less time to do this migration although i did have some learning curve to fight through the product. It lets you extract data from the 4.1 server and then dump the data into a freshly installed 8.5 server...sounds good yeah ??

there is a licensing cost for the product per phone but at the same time you will not ever have to deal with the pains of DMA..They support direct upgrade support to 8.5..from 4.1..

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

CSCO11921998
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I had pretty the same senario and I have one issue, I used the DMA and by its output I get  the upgrade licenses but I added the license mac (since we are migrating to a vm machine) as the host id but when I tried to upload the upgrade licenses it mentioned that this license is locked for another host, since I have mentioned my License Mac and not the mac address of the server:

1. why this happened?

2. What should I do?

3. I am going to have the same migration for another customer what should I do to not face this issue again?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: