Helpful
Replies

Migrate CUCM VM from UCS to a different one

Daniel Gomez
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried this:

I have a UCS C210 with 2 CUCM virtual machines (1 publisher and 1 subscriber).

We're planinning to buy a new UCS C240 with better performance and with more room to create new virtual machines for new applications such as unity connection and presence.

My question is:

Is it possible to migrate my current UCS C210 virtual machines to the new UCS C240? a co-worker from the DataCenter team told me it was as easy as copying the vm file from one server to the other but I just want to make sure that is correct.

Does anybody know anything about this?

Thanks.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

yahsiel2004
Level 7
Level 7

Yes you can vMotion the VMs from the C210 into the C240. You will need to have both UCS servers managed by a vCenter server and you must have the vMotion network configured in your vSwitches.

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh

View solution in original post

Yosh is correct (+5), vMotion is the way to go, see the following link for vMotion guidelines with Cisco UC apps:

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Unified_Communications_VMware_Requirements#VMware_vMotion

HTH,

Chris

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

yahsiel2004
Level 7
Level 7

Yes you can vMotion the VMs from the C210 into the C240. You will need to have both UCS servers managed by a vCenter server and you must have the vMotion network configured in your vSwitches.

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh

Yosh is correct (+5), vMotion is the way to go, see the following link for vMotion guidelines with Cisco UC apps:

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Unified_Communications_VMware_Requirements#VMware_vMotion

HTH,

Chris

Hi Chris,

So to migrate one of the CUC servers and the CER servers from one BE7K over to a different site and BE7K for redundancy. Currently we do not have the capability to vmotion across sites. 

Could I follow this procedure instead:

CUC:

System settings-->Cluster

Delete the subscriber and add a new one. Then install the new subscriber on the new UCS BE7K server.

CER:

System-->Server settings--> Subscriber

Delete the server add a new one. Install the new subscriber on new BE7K server.

I can not access this link

Also is there any other way if don;t have Vcenter?

Thanks Yosh,

One more question that I think could cause some issues.

On UCS C210 we're using VMware 4 and for the new server we bought VMWare version 5.

Should I need to upgrade UCS C210 first in order to do vmotion?

If wmotion would not be an option, is there a manual procedure?

Thanks.

Thanks Chris,

I think vMotion would not be an option for me because CUCM VMs are running on local disks of the UCS server and not on a SAN.

It does not mean it would not work (it would), it would simply not be supported by Cisco should you run into trouble.  You should look into vmware "cold migration" or "host to host migration" options, you can google for these and find all kids of good articles.

HTH, please rate all useful posts!

Chris

Like Chris said it's not Cisco supported but it is possible.

If you don't have a vCenter server than you can manually download the VM files from the UCS 210 local datastore onto your computer and than create a new folder in the UCS 240 local datastore, upload the all files into the newly created folder and then right click the ".vmx" file and select "Add to Inventory". From there you will want to look into upgrading the VM hardware from 7 to 8.

Regards,

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh

Anas Abueideh
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

I think Vcenter 5 can make storage motion, even it is local HDD

HTH

Anas

please rate if it is helpful

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What It can and what is supported are 2 different things. I have done vMotion successfully between different versions of ESXi, but again do it at your own risk.

Chris

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Thanks everyone for the help, I really appreciate it.

Regards,

Rana21
Level 1
Level 1

Recently I have migrated all the UC applications from One server to another with Veeam Back (It's a free application and very straightforward)

https://www.veeam.com/blog/how-to-move-a-vmware-vm-from-one-host-to-another-without-vmware-vmotion.html

Please refrain from posting an answer to a 10 years old post that is as well marked as solved as that creates unnecessary litter in the post flow in the community.

Response Signature

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: