cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrate from physical to UCS Server

cplatt01
Level 1
Level 1

I am curretnly running CM version 7.15.  We are going to upgrade to 8.6.2 on our physical servers, then migrate these to a UCS server.  I have a few questions:

1) We are planning on backing up the 8.6.2, then restore to VM on a UCS server.  When we go this route, we will need to use a temp license file, until Cisco can generate a valid license for our new server.  Are there any restrictions on the temp license file, such as number of phones or devices that can register to this?  I have heard horror stories around this.

2) After migrating the publisher, does it make sense just to bring up new subscribers in VMWare on the UCS servers, rather than try to backup and restore the physical servers?  Then we would just remove the physical subcribers from the cluster.

Any advice on moving from Physical to Virtual is certainly appreciated. 

CHRIS

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

I missed in my original post. I agree with Aokanlawon's Point 5.

If you dont restore - there are few things that wouldn't be pushed to newly bulit server automatically:

1)      Service Activations

2)      TFTP Files

3)      Non-standard or COP installed phone firmware

4)      MOH Files

5)      Server certificates

Once again - be careful of the security feature, and enable rollback param when migrating phones between 8.X clusters.

Terry

View solution in original post

The licensing in Virtualized environment does not use MAC addressou know it. The license MAC is 12 digits HEX values based on the hash of these 10 Unified CM settings

1.Certificate Information (Organization, Unit, Location, State, Country)

2.Hostname

3.IP Address or dhcp

4.IP Mask or dhcp

5.Gateway Address or dhcp

6.NIC speed auto

7.NTP server 1

8.Primary DNS

9.SMTP server or none

10.Time zone

As bill suggested the answer file generator can help you to proactively obtain the needed license file. The file generator collects all the listed information above.

After your install you have about 30 days grace period to license the server or 60 days if running CUCM9.X

Please rate all useful posts

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Chris,

The route of upgrading to 8.6.2 on the MCS platform, backing up, and restoring to a VM on a UCS platform is totally viable. We have followed this method several times. I recommend you use the Answer File Generator to create the license for the VM host in advance of doing the restore.  See this link:

http://www.cisco.com/web/cuc_afg/index.html

It makes sense to me to bring up the environment in VM first (rather than doing node restores).

HTH

-Bill (http://ucguerrilla.com)

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Thanks for the quick reply Bill.  Did you use this answer file to do a restore and change the IP Address of your Publisher?  Interesting that this file will generate the license information that you need to submit to TAC.

You can liase with licensing team and get the license rehosted to new MAC close to your migration date. Your old license file will be functional for I think 30 days and you can have new system working as well. In case of any issues you can always work out with Licensing team licensing@cisco.com - have been very helpful and quick.

Another issue you should be careful of during this migration is - CUCM8.X security by default feature. To enable the rollback enterprise parameter before migration. This causes lots of issues if not taken care of.

Please see - https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-15799

Other than that you should be fine.

Terry

I guess I am concerned when moving to a virtual environment I won't really know the MAC until I install the VM.  Does the answer file generate a license file or just allow for unattended set up.  I am a little confused on how the this file and a license file are related.

The licensing in Virtualized environment does not use MAC addressou know it. The license MAC is 12 digits HEX values based on the hash of these 10 Unified CM settings

1.Certificate Information (Organization, Unit, Location, State, Country)

2.Hostname

3.IP Address or dhcp

4.IP Mask or dhcp

5.Gateway Address or dhcp

6.NIC speed auto

7.NTP server 1

8.Primary DNS

9.SMTP server or none

10.Time zone

As bill suggested the answer file generator can help you to proactively obtain the needed license file. The file generator collects all the listed information above.

After your install you have about 30 days grace period to license the server or 60 days if running CUCM9.X

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There are a few things to note

1. Does your current hardware support 8.6.2 or is this going to be a bridge upgrade?

3. If your hardware doesn't support 8.6, then be aware that this will be very intrusive because during bridge upgrade, services won't run.

4. If your servers support 8.5, then upgrade to that and then perform a restore from that point. Avoid a bridged upgrade if you can

5. It is best practice to restore all servers and not build subscribers from scratch. This is due to things like certificates. This was one of the emphasized point during cucm upgrade best practices at Cisco live London. So to avoid potential issues I suggest you upgrade all servers and restore on VM.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

I missed in my original post. I agree with Aokanlawon's Point 5.

If you dont restore - there are few things that wouldn't be pushed to newly bulit server automatically:

1)      Service Activations

2)      TFTP Files

3)      Non-standard or COP installed phone firmware

4)      MOH Files

5)      Server certificates

Once again - be careful of the security feature, and enable rollback param when migrating phones between 8.X clusters.

Terry

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Thanks Terry for adding the other bits like service activation. +5.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Not a prob buddy. You had already answered it before me (+5) but I have seen people often asking this - why do we need to restore the sub servers, shouldn't the publisher's dbreplication take care of this, so thought I will throw in the things that would be left out without a restore.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: