cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

migrating sip trunk from cme to cucm?

baselzind
Level 6
Level 6

i have a cme and im planning to shift to cucm , i have attached part of the cme config , do i simply just remove the sip trunk dial peer on cme and create a sip trunk on the cucm instead? does the other side of the sip trunk need to change any configuration at their end?

also am i actually using a sip trunk? because im  seeing this configuration

h323-gateway voip interface
h323-gateway voip bind srcaddr X.1.1.1

what is the BVI interface?

13 Replies 13

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 2 lines pertain to H323 configuration not SIP. Post your full config.

Is the plan to convert the CME to CUBE or have direct connection from CUCM to SIP provider? It's strongly recommended to connect ITSP to CUBE for many reasons listed in CUBE data sheet rather than directly to CUCM, unless the integration is an internal one i.e. another PBX, etc.

i posted my config , the plan is just to move my telephony system from cme to a new cucm , at the same time the cme router is used as a gateway for the internet so i cant remove it

It looks like you have UC500 device which as far as I know cannot be used as a CUBE with CUCM/ITSP.  Your current PSTN connectivity is via H323 not SIP as defined by dial-peers, here is one of them:

dial-peer voice 4400 voip
corlist outgoing css-calltest
description *** Outgoing DP ***
translation-profile outgoing out
preference 1
destination-pattern 9[2-9].......$
session target ipv4:X.X.20.2
dtmf-relay h245-alphanumeric
codec g711ulaw

If you are going to SIP you would need to ensure the ITSP side also uses SIP and not H323.

It looks like you have UC500 device which as far as I know cannot be used as a CUBE with CUCM/ITSP.

I can confirm that is not supported, the UC500 series cannot be used as a GW/CUBE for CUCM.

They would need to use a regular ISR for that purpose.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

but a cisco tac engineer told me it could work as a h323 voice gateway? can you link any official documentation please?

can i create a h323 trunk from the cucm to the service provider to replace the current cme?

You can just leave the router as your H323 border-element and create H323 integration between CUCM and CME, this way you are not exposing your CUCM directly to the service provider which is one of the reasons one would deploy CUBE/Border Element.

thank you for your input but is it possible to configure the cucm with a h323 trunk to the service provider to replace the CME?
im not sure the current cme would work as a gateway

Yes, it is possible as that is what you have with your UC500 CME, you would create an H323 GW in CUCM that uses the IP address of the ITSP (same one you use in your CME). Again, this is not recommended but doable.

also what is the BVI interface? is it a virtual interface? because the CME ip is under it?

what i understood is that the BVI bridge together several interfaces as a single broadcast domain but in my case there is only one interface under the bvi , doesn't that mean that the bvi is useless here?

Like Chris said, you probably don't want to get rid of the router, just promote it to CUBE and create a SIP trunk between CUCM and the router.

Rolando A. Valenzuela.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: