cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migration from CCM 4.1 to CUCM 7.1

gear53x11
Level 1
Level 1

I was thinking I'd get a new thread started regarding my rollout of CUCM 7.1. We are doing a fresh install on some new hardware where we will migrate the 4.1 users over to the new CUCM 7.1 version. Has anyone done this before? Any gotchas you could share? I am in the early stages and reading about the DMA tool. Is that just for upgrades or can I migrate that data to a new box?

So far my only gotchya has been the ordering of hardware. As I understand it, Cisco will no longer support HP hardware after version 7. So we investigated buying the Cisco supported IBM servers. That was painful, because we only need 1U's and the supported processor type for the IBM 3250 does not appear to be manufactured anymore. I submitted a TAC case, but they said Cisco only supports what was on their site, that being the outdated CPU. We ended up  buying the supported HP servers and counting on version 8+ being supported on VMware.

14 Replies 14

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It really doesn't matter if it's a new or the old box, the CUCM installer will wipe whatever you had and install CUCM. It's exactly the same process for new/old HW (only difference and not really during the process is rehosting the license, but that's after the whole install finishes). You mentioned fresh install, if you do that, there is no DMA. You need to choose Upgrade during install to use DMA, DMA cannot be used at any other point, so bear that in mind.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

thx javalenc,

I am not whiping out what I have on version 4.1. I am going to be running in parallel between v 4.1 and v 7.1 while all the version 4.1 users are migrated on a TBD schedule. I was thinking I could run the DMA tool in my v 4.1 cluster and then import whatever file that gets created into my CUCM v 7.1 cluster. I hope thats possible. Can you confirm? Or are you saying I have to recreate everything in my v 7.1 cluster manually? I might need to add some time to this project!!! thanks,

DMA TAR file is useless except at one point in time, after you insert the CUCM 7.1 DVD and when prompted for "fresh install or upgrade" you choose upgrade. Then the system will ask for the tar file location and import the info.

If you chose "fresh install" then DMA cannot be used, to restore information you would require a DRS file on the exact same version you installed. Other options is to migrate info with BAT (it requires reformatting the files to adjust the CUCM 7.1 new fields).

Not to mention you will need to migrate all the licenses manually via licensing@cisco.com

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

That brings up another question I can't find an answer for re the licensing...

Can my licenses be running in parallel as well? I want to migrate 4.1 users to 7.1 on a schedule. So for example, on some weekend I'll migrate 5 office/sites and another 5 the following weekend. Do I have to migrate only the licenses associated with the sites/phones I move on each weekend or can I just migrate all of my licenses so when the phones register with v 7.1 they work? Or will that cause some kind of conflict?

I did the same thing here and will lay out the high level of what I did.

First, we bought new servers and installed a fresh copy of UCM 7.1. We then worked with Cisco licensing to get the DLU files created. We had to send them a list of all the phones and MAC addresses as well as which service contracts the servers were under. They then created a file and sent it to us to load into the UCM 7.1 cluster. We then built an intercluster trunk between the 2 clusters so users could still communicate with each other while we completed the different phases of the migration.

Next, we built fresh partitions, CSS, dial patterns and other system features on UCM 7. We did this because we wanted to change our naming convention and make it more standardized. There are also a lot of new features around paritions and CSS that we wanted to take advantage of. We then exported our phone configs from CM 4 and put them in BAT files which we imported into UCM 7. Then we made changes to our DHCP scopes to change the TFTP entries so that we just needed to reboot the phones in CM 4 for them to then come up in UCM 7. The only issue I ran into was that you could not bulk change the voicemail integration in Unity 5. I had to do it in the SQL database itself.

Of course there is a lot more than that to consider, but hopefully it will get you going in the right direction.

This is exactly what we are doing. Great info. Thanks!

Did you export/import any data with the data migratin tool?

Also, you said you had to provide the service contracts the servers were under. We bought supported HP servers from our vendor so I am not clear how those servers would be under a Cisco contract? Did you buy Cisco servers?

Just export the info using the BAT tool in CM 4. You can edit it in Excel and put it into new BAT files for UCM 7.

We also used HP boxes not the Cisco branded MCS ones. The service contract I had to specify was the one that the CM 4 server software was under.

Matt,

I read your post about migration.  Currently, I am working on the export BAT file from CCM 4.2 to import BAT file CUCM 7.1.  Can you share with me the CUCM 7.1 csv file or the steps to generate a 7.1 BAT file?  I need to capture DN, User, and Speed dials information from the exiting CUCM cluster.

Thanks,
Nelson

Chris, what type of trunking protocol did you use between the clusters?

I used non gatekeeper controlled intercluster trunks.

chris.warren
Level 1
Level 1

another method we used was to build the new system in VMWare using DMA. Then export phone and user info out into .csv files, modify any of the fields if required and then import into production. This allowed us to stage the migration from multiple 4.1 clusters into a single cluster. We would import the new phones with the DN in a staging partition that isn't available to the rest of the devices within the production cluster. Then run a bulk update to change the partition when ready.

There are several options for trunking between Clusters. We use a GK controlled H.323 trunk.

gear53x11
Level 1
Level 1

Is anyone running a Cisco 2811? If so, what IOS version have you had success with?

The question is fairly open-ended.  Are you going to run MGCP, H323?  Do you need fax/modem support?  There are some questions to be asked regarding IOS.  However, I use/recommend 12.4(24T) or higher (within the 12.4T train) and have been happy.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

n.warburton
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Matt et al,

Dont forget that when you upgrade from CCM4 to something higher you typically lose the extension mobility pin and password. DMA does not copy this over and typically you have to give users a new pin to get them going.

There is a way to overcome this that I have used on a couple of large migrations and works really well. In fact the customer estimated that it saved about 5 man days of support by avoiding to send the initial communication and then having to fix the ones that went wrong. Reseting the pin and password to something default is obviously a security risk.

Have a look at the pin migration program from dominocoms.com

Hope that helps and all goes well!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: