cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Missed, received and placed calls not logged on IP Phone 7945 after moving to another site

abdulsalamyh
Level 1
Level 1

I have moved to another site with my IP Phone 7945G.  The new site does not have the backend infrastructure for IP telephony.  Yet, the IP Phone still works and functioning well and having the same phone number.  However, the missed, received and placed calls are no longer logged.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Here is my situation.  7942 configured with the "SSL VPN to ASA using AnyConnect".  I add the device to CallManager and connect to the internal network to pull down the configuration.  I then connect to external network to test VPN.  So I do not think the VLAN assignment is relevant to my situation.  The phone ends up with an ASA assigned IP address, but never gets a TFTP address.  I did add our TFTP to the phone manually and the missed/received/placed calls started working.  This makes be believe that we need an option 150 added to the addresses that the ASA is handing out.

View solution in original post

This might be a limitation on the ASA's DHCP pool where option 150 IP addresses cannot be passed to the phone.  It's normal and recommended to have to manually set a TFTP address on their phones for a few reasons.  First, the TFTP IP address set on the phone is used for VPN auto detect.  If the phone can ping it's configured TFTP then it assumes it's internal and will not start the VPN client, if it cannot ping the TFTP it will assume its external and start the VPN.  Since the TFTP setting is used to determine if the VPN has to start up or not, we can't rely on getting this address from the ASA.  We also can't rely on trusting that the DHCP server whether it's a home router or ISP provides your coporate internal TFTP IP address for the same auto detect feature.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Contact your telephony system administrator and report the problem.

If he has any question for how to make it work, can ask here.

Joseph Martini
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you're using the phone VPN please let me know.  I'd like to work with you on this through a TAC service request since I have been working on the same problem when connected using the phone VPN.  We haven't been able to identify the issue yet since the end user hasn't been available for us to collect logs.

I am having this issue with a 7942 configured to use Phone SSL VPN.  It logs missed/placed/Received calls when connected to the local office network, but not when connected via VPN.  Let me know if I can help collect some logs to get this resolved.  Thanks.

Sean, thanks for offering to help so we can get this resolved.  Once you confirm the VLAN is correct would you mind opening a TAC case and mentioning that you're working with me on this.  You can reference this case and ask for the case to be assigned to me and I can send you a list of logs we will need to collect and/or help you collect them.  Thanks.

Here is my situation.  7942 configured with the "SSL VPN to ASA using AnyConnect".  I add the device to CallManager and connect to the internal network to pull down the configuration.  I then connect to external network to test VPN.  So I do not think the VLAN assignment is relevant to my situation.  The phone ends up with an ASA assigned IP address, but never gets a TFTP address.  I did add our TFTP to the phone manually and the missed/received/placed calls started working.  This makes be believe that we need an option 150 added to the addresses that the ASA is handing out.

This might be a limitation on the ASA's DHCP pool where option 150 IP addresses cannot be passed to the phone.  It's normal and recommended to have to manually set a TFTP address on their phones for a few reasons.  First, the TFTP IP address set on the phone is used for VPN auto detect.  If the phone can ping it's configured TFTP then it assumes it's internal and will not start the VPN client, if it cannot ping the TFTP it will assume its external and start the VPN.  Since the TFTP setting is used to determine if the VPN has to start up or not, we can't rely on getting this address from the ASA.  We also can't rely on trusting that the DHCP server whether it's a home router or ISP provides your coporate internal TFTP IP address for the same auto detect feature.

Girish Pai
Level 1
Level 1

Could you provide us some more information ?

Sometimes it does happen that phone get registered through data vlan & DN shows up and you will be able to make calls & use other features. However they are unable to save the call logs. Check phone VLAN information.

I did set a TFTP IP address on my phone manually and the missed, received, and placed calls started working for me too.  My phone connectivity is through Metropolitan Area Network (MAN) not VPN.

Sorry for not responding earlier as I do not have access to the tech details requested and not privileged to raise a TAC.  I am only a normal user and not a network administrator.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: