Views
Helpful
Replies

Mixed MGCP and H323 gateway config - CVP support

ssparkes
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a requirement to support two Q.sig E1 trunks on the same gateway both connected to the same Mitel SX2000.  One interface is backhauled to CUCM (7.1.5) using MGCP.  This interface is used for general PABX<>PABX traffic.  The other interface will be controlled separately using H323.  This interface is used for ACD call delivery in to an IPCC Enterprise CVP solution (gatekeeper controlled).  Incoming calls from the Mitel will switch match various ras dial-peers and be controlled accordingly.

I'm using a dual port VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1 module.  If I just configure the 0/0/0 E1 interface (leave the 0/0/1 interface un-configured in CUCM) and then configure the 0/0/1 E1 interface in IOS all looks well.  If the gateway is reset in CUCM it basically removes all the 0/0/1 IOS config - and that fine cause that’s MGCP's view of the world.  However, from the CUCM GUI if I configure the gateway to appear as a single port E1 controller using the VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1 option I can recreate the original 0/0/0 config and then go on to config the 0/0/1 interface within IOS.  If I now reset the gateway everything looks fine as MGCP has absolutely no knowledge of my 0/0/0 interface.

Is this a supported Cisco configuration? ie fooling CUCM in to thinking I have a single port module rather than a dual port module in order to overcome the problem with gateway resets overwriting the IOS config.

If I had separate H323 and MGCP gateways I would split the service across different hardware – unfortunately I don’t and unless I do something Cisco will not support MGCP call delivery in to a CVP platform.  Also, the client wishes to retain MGCP for PABX<>PABX as it offers greater feature transparency.

Cheers Steve

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Steven Holl
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Steve,

You are fine to configure the gateway as a single port card.  The sole purpose of defining the platform and card type is to get the interface descriptor (i.e. t1 0/0/1), and it won't hurt it to specify a different card type, as long as the interface descriptor for the card you choose matches for the port you want to use MGCP for.

The other option is to disable MGCP CCM config server with 'no ccm config.'  That will disable CM's capability of remotely applying the config.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Steven Holl
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Steve,

You are fine to configure the gateway as a single port card.  The sole purpose of defining the platform and card type is to get the interface descriptor (i.e. t1 0/0/1), and it won't hurt it to specify a different card type, as long as the interface descriptor for the card you choose matches for the port you want to use MGCP for.

The other option is to disable MGCP CCM config server with 'no ccm config.'  That will disable CM's capability of remotely applying the config.

Hi Steven,

Thanks good information...I didnt really want to disable the MGCP CCM config as this could create future support issues.  Specifying a single port card instead of a dual port provides the best of both worlds.  Thanks again.  Steve

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: