cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Monitoring Active Calls for SIP Trunk Deployment

Jason Amick
Level 1
Level 1

I work for a company that has 200+ remote locations each with a separate voice gateway to handle incoming/outgoing calls. Our larger sites will have a PRI and our smaller sites will have anywhere between 6 and 8 FXO ports to make and receive calls.  My question is in regards to if I wanted to centralize a SIP trunk deployment to handle all calls how can I get the information to calculate the size SIP trunk needed?  I know in RTMT I can check real time data and see that for example I may have 200 active H323 calls but without me watching it day by day I will not know how many active calls we may take at any given time.  Is there a way to offload the H323 calls in progress counter so I can look back at this data for all my gateways?  Also if anyone has any additional ways of doing so please let me know.  Thanks!!

3 Replies 3

Randall White
Level 3
Level 3

I am going through the same process with 40 remote sites with local PRIs. I am using the Cisco Prime Collaboration Assurance / Analytics server. I can see the peak concurrent calls per T1 or Route Group / Trunk Group for different time periods (e.g. the last 4 weeks). I configured an All-PRI group to watch the total concurrent calls.

PCA/A is kind of a pain to set up. The Standard license is free, and you can select a 60 day trial of the Advanced / Analytics license when you install it. 60 days should be enough to get a baseline to size your SIP trunk.

I'd love to hear if there is a way to do this via SNMP or RTMT.

Randall:

Thanks for the information we may have to try a demo of PCA/A to get the information we are looking for.  Do you know if it will also monitor gateways with FXO/Pots lines as well and be included in the total concurrent calls?  Thanks again!!

You want to monitor each H.323 trunk. That will show the total calls going in and out of that gateway, so it shouldn't matter what kind of PSTN connection you use.