cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Moving CUCM/CUC/UCCX/CUP/CER v12.5 clusters from B-Series M4 to M5 blades

RAustin70
Level 1
Level 1

I'm Running ESXi 6.7 on vCenter for our B-Series Chassis.  I recently installed new M5 blades to replace the M4 blades.

What is the best way to get v12.5(1)SU1 servers moved over to the new Blades?

Shutdown/move/power up?

Build fresh on M5's and use DRS Restore?

I don't want to change any IP addresses or hostnames if I don't have to.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Use Vmotion to move the VMs, it can be done in running state if the two hosts can access the storage used by the VM. If this is not the case for you do the move in offline mode.

Response Signature

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Use Vmotion to move the VMs, it can be done in running state if the two hosts can access the storage used by the VM. If this is not the case for you do the move in offline mode.

Response Signature

Thank you Roger, that is what i was thinking but it always helps to hear it from someone else.

Rob

Make sure to read the caveats from doing live vMotion in the UC virtualization site.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Absolutely!  I am working toward the offline move.  Last I had heard Cisco was never a fan of live vMotion so I don't want to mess with the process lol

RAustin70
Level 1
Level 1

Okay now check this out.  CUCM, UCCX, CUP, CER nodes all moved (offline) flawlessly to the new M5’s.  It was like a dream come true.

Unity….not so much.  When I add them to the inventory and power them up vCenter throws “insufficient capacity on each physical CPU” so I have to move them back to the M4.

We are running the virtual overlay platform for up to 5,000 users to the letter.

The M4’s are:

Hypervisor: VMware ESXi, 6.7.0, 17167734
Model: UCSB-B200-M4
Processor Type: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz
Logical Processors: 40
NICs: 8
Virtual Machines: 1 (Unity)
State: Connected
Uptime:94 days  

The M5’s are:

Hypervisor: VMware ESXi, 6.7.0, 17700523

Model: UCSB-B200-M5

Processor Type: Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6230 CPU @ 2.10GHz

Logical Processors: 80

NICs: 8

Virtual Machines: 7 (rest of the servers)

State: Connected

Uptime: 12 days

Any ideas how to get through this?

Yes, that is my fear, the Customer purchased the wrong CPUs for the Cluster.  That's a pricy mistake for either the Customers Project manager or the Cisco Certified Vendor as we provided the virtualization tables of all systems that were going to live on the blade.

Correct, unfortunately not an easy fix as the CPU does not support your CUC deployment 

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: