Views
Helpful
Replies

Moving IP Phones from UCM 8 to 9

abraham23482
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am working on a project to move a cluster running on version 8 to version 9 site by site... Version 9 cluster is already here with many branch offices on it. Now we are trying to move the branch offices connected to the version 8 cluster to the version 9 cluster. Licensing migration is being taken care of. But my challenge is about the ITL files on phone. I read online that the phones on version 8 UCM will not work with version 9 UCM just like that.

Could someone please help me with the process to follow to migrate a phone (79xx,88xx) from a UCM 8 cluster to a UCM 9 cluster. 

best regards

Abraham

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Abraham,

Point one is not correct, and this feature applies to 8.x and higher version. What i means is as ITL was introduced in 8.x you cluster would run sort of like 7.x and below as ITL validation would not happen.

Point 2 can be achieved, as long as you keep "Prepare Cluster for Rollback to pre-8.0." as True. 

I would like you to keep in mind below when you enable that parameter.

This parameter prepares the cluster for rollback to pre 8.0. Cisco Unified Communications Manager release.
  This is a required field.
  Default:  False
  : Enable this option if you are preparing to rollback your cluster to a pre 8.0 Cisco Unified Communications Manager release. Phone services (for example, extension mobility) will NOT work when this parameter is set to True, however, users will be able to continue making and receiving basic phone calls. IMPORTANT: Changing this parameter will cause ALL PHONES TO RESET.

(Rate if it helps)

JB

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jitender Bhandari
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Abraham,

You are right, you will have to use "Prepare Cluster for Rollback to pre-8.0." to push blank ITL. i would strongly recommend go through the link below for details.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/60716/migrating-ip-phones-between-clusters-cucm-8-and-itl-files#Rollback_Enterprise_Parameter

(Rate if it helps)

JB

Thanks for the input Jitender. I had referred this document and had a couple questions. Sorry about the back to back questions. Appreciate your help. 

1. Looks like this option is used when we move phones from version 8 to a previous version or between version 8 clusters. The service parameter name also suggests the same. “Prepare Custer for Rollback to pre 8.0” Can I use this option to move phones from a UCM version 8 to another UCM version 9?

2. I have to migrate site by site from UCM version 8. So please let me know if my plan is going to work. I will turn on this feature on the UCM8 and reset the device pool of the site i am going to migrate. This will force the phone in that device pool to accept any unsigned certificates. Then i will BAT the configuration of the phones in this device pool to the UCM 9 and connect the phones to a network that points them to UCM 9. Then proceed with the same steps when the next site is ready to move. Is this approach good?

Hi Abraham,

Point one is not correct, and this feature applies to 8.x and higher version. What i means is as ITL was introduced in 8.x you cluster would run sort of like 7.x and below as ITL validation would not happen.

Point 2 can be achieved, as long as you keep "Prepare Cluster for Rollback to pre-8.0." as True. 

I would like you to keep in mind below when you enable that parameter.

This parameter prepares the cluster for rollback to pre 8.0. Cisco Unified Communications Manager release.
  This is a required field.
  Default:  False
  : Enable this option if you are preparing to rollback your cluster to a pre 8.0 Cisco Unified Communications Manager release. Phone services (for example, extension mobility) will NOT work when this parameter is set to True, however, users will be able to continue making and receiving basic phone calls. IMPORTANT: Changing this parameter will cause ALL PHONES TO RESET.

(Rate if it helps)

JB

Thank you very much JB. 

Abraham

happy to help,

Thanks for updating the post.

JB