cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple users on a 7960 IP phone?

stevegrosz
Level 1
Level 1

I am curious, we have 2 employees who will be sharing a workspace, computer, and more import, a Cicso 7960 phone.

When I set up a new user and assign the button on the phone to the user with a "normal ring" as the ringtype/mode, is there a way to add the 2nd user to a 2nd button, and allow her to be able to access her voicemail?

I've noticed that I can add the 2nd user to button #2, but when I push it, nothing happens.  When she has voicemail, the indicator shows up next to her name (and button 2) that she has voicemail, but then I have to dial the users extension, press * and then her extension, enter her password and then finally am able to access her voicemail.

Seems like there would be an easier way.......

Is there??

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

First of all please understand that what are you doing (actively sharing a phone among two people) is not very common in office enviroments that have made the kind of investment associated with Cisco solutions.

This said, you should be able to press the 2nd button, hear dialtone, then press the VM button, and be asked for the PIN associated to the 2nd line.

If that doesn't happen, either something is not configured right, or in extreme case, there is a bug and you need to update the system.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

First of all please understand that what are you doing (actively sharing a phone among two people) is not very common in office enviroments that have made the kind of investment associated with Cisco solutions.

This said, you should be able to press the 2nd button, hear dialtone, then press the VM button, and be asked for the PIN associated to the 2nd line.

If that doesn't happen, either something is not configured right, or in extreme case, there is a bug and you need to update the system.

I know its not the best way to do this, and if I didn't have to I wouldn't.

But your suggestion worked, push the button and then the message button.

Thanks

Do you have a VM Profile assigned to the second line on the device?  VM Profile is a per line configuration.

Edit: I was under the impression that you were already pushing the 2nd line and then the VM button.  In regards to a better way, my following comment still applies.

Also, in these scenarios - it may be better to use Extension Mobility.  That way, each user feels as if the phone is his/her "own" phone and behavior would be as such when logged in.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Where would I find information on how to set up extension mobility?

Cisco documentation is public, on cisco.com enter what you're looking for and generally speaking the applicable answer will be in one of the first hits.

Thank you for the nice rating and good luck!

In general, the CUCM Admin Guide as well as the Features and Services

guide will walk you thru it. The forums are also a good place as well.

Depends on what version of CUCM you are running as well. Take a look and

if you can't find anything that helps you, re-post and we'll be able to

help you out.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

On 12/17/10 12:30 PM, "p.bevilacqua"

And for whatever reason, when I log into CUE, I dont see a option listed in the online instructions that says:

System-Wide

You can enable or disable user logins on a system-wide basis within Cisco CallManager Administration by performing the following steps:

Procedure

Step 1 Choose Service > Service Parameters.

Step 2 Choose the server on which you want to enable or disable the user login from the Server drop-down list and click Next.

Step 3 Choose Cisco Extension Mobility from the Service list box on the left side of the window.

Step 4 From the Login Service Enabled field, choose True to enable the user login service, or False to disable it.

I don't have the "service" option on my list of menu options.......am I just missing something????

EM is a CUCM Feature - not CUE. You wont see anything related to EM

within CUE. Are you also using CCME?

On 12/17/10 12:48 PM, "stevegrosz"

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Steve,

Just to add a note to the good tips from my friend Paolo +5

There is a CUCM parameter for "Always use Prime Line for Voicemail" which can be changed from True to False

if you like that will also change the behavior so the user just has to pick up the handset or press the Speakerphone

when he/she has messages;

CUCM System > Service Parameters > Clusterwide Parameters (Device - Phone) > Always use Prime Line for Voicemail

Cheers!

Rob

PS: +5 for Hailey as well, who was pranking my typing skills as I pecked away EM

is an excellent choice as well.

We are using Cisco Unity Express Version 2.3 and I'm not seeing a:  CUCM System > Service Parameters > Clusterwide Parameters (Device - Phone)

Hmmmmm.........

You are not looking in the right place. That is your Voice Mail system (and it would need an update).

You must connect to you CM (Communication Manager) IP address.

Sorry, I'm not really a dumb person, but all I've ever used to adminster the phones is the CUE web interface.

How would I determine the CM IP address?  Is it in the CUE setup somewhere?

You are then using CME. It's address can be seen on CUE GUI, somewhere like "CME address and credentials", or in the phones, as TFTP address

Now since you have an outdated software, it will not support Extension Mobility, however chances are that it can be updated. That will give you also a lot more features and stability.

To update the system, I recommend you engage a reputable consultant or certified Cisco partner. Trying to do it yourself can easily cause hours of frustration and system downtime.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: