Views
Helpful
Replies

Music on Hold in CME

shraavan07
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have Hub and Spoke voice distribution. We have CUCM at HQ and CME deployed at Branches. Currently I want to configure MoH on Branch routers so the music is always played through local gateway and not from CUCM over WAN. I have read all the posts. I have the configuration, but what happens is, MoH file on local routers only plays if the call is from PSTN. If the call is between two IP phones from HQ to Branch, MoH file is playing from the CUCM. Can anybody share their experience on this? Thank you.

telephony-service

srst mode auto-provision none

max-ephones 42

max-dn 144 preference 8

ip source-address 10.18.201.20 port 2000

timeouts ringing 18

max-conferences 8 gain -6

moh flash:music-on-hold.au

multicast moh 239.1.1.5 port 16384 route 10.18.201.20 10.18.1.20 10.1.1.1

transfer-system full-consult

create cnf-files

15 Replies 15

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just for my curiosity, can you tell what's the business meaning of MoH for internal calls ?

MoH is meant to let know external callers that their call is important, while delivering a relaxing music or even live radio, or business information.

Nothing of that is needed for calls betweehn eployee of the same company. A beep sound every few seconds is enough.

Hello Paolo,

By MoH, I meant Music on Hold. Currently if I am calling from my HQ extension, 1001, to Branch extension, 2001, if I get put on hold I would hear a music on hold that is specified in Call Manager. If I put 2001 on hold, they will hear Music that is specified in Call Manager. I want to avoid Music stream to go over WAN and have Branch listen to Music that is on their local router. I hope this explains it. Thank you for your reply.

Hardik Patel wrote:

Hello Paolo,

By MoH, I meant Music on Hold. Currently if I am calling from my HQ extension, 1001, to Branch extension, 2001, if I get put on hold I would hear a music on hold that is specified in Call Manager. If I put 2001 on hold, they will hear Music that is specified in Call Manager. I want to avoid Music stream to go over WAN and have Branch listen to Music that is on their local router. I hope this explains it. Thank you for your reply.

I understand all that. What I was trying to convey to you, is that for internal calls, MoH is not a business priority.

Hello Paolo,

I know it is not a business priority because of internal calls, but this is how it was set up by previous engineer who worked. I want to still keep MoH for internal caller as it is, but stop the stream over WAN and use Branch Router's MoH.

Thank You,

yahsiel2004
Level 7
Level 7

Have you verified that your CUCME router, moh multicast address is the same as the multicast address that CUCM is using for the audio source being played when your HQ places a caller on hold. Your CUCM moh should be set as multicast and it uses different multicast ip address per audio source.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/7x/moh.html

You might also need to verify your router is configured to allow multicast out interfaces, which face CUCM, using the "ip pim sparse-dense-mode"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2/ip/configuration/guide/1cfmulti.html

Regards,

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh

Hello Yosh,

When i put same IP address as 239.1.1.1 on CUCM and Branch Router, then PSTN Music on Hold does not work. I have "ip pim sparse-dense-mode" on Voice and Data interface on Branch Router. I also have "ip multicast-routing" in global configuration. Please advise.

Thank You,

Hardik

yahsiel2004
Level 7
Level 7

You might also need to verify that your router is configured to not allow multicast out interfaces, which face CUCM, using the "no ip pim sparse-dense-mode" or an acl, so that the multicast traffic does not traverse the WAN.

HTH Regards, Yosh

Hello Yosh,

I have changed TTL in CUCM to 1 instead of 2. So, I still don't know why MoH will go over WAN.

When you changed the TTL in CUCM did the MOH work?

The only reason why MOH will traverse the WAN, is because you're allowing it to. You will need to block it on both WAN interfaces of the HQ and Branch routers.

HTH

Regards,

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh

Hello Yosh,

let me ask you one more question. If I have IP address of 239.1.1.1 in CUCM as Multicast IP address and I have 239.1.1.5 in CME. Will this configuration use only MoH from CME because of different IP addresses? Will this stop MoH over WWAN because in CME ip address is different than one in CUCM. please advise.

Thank you,

Hardik

No, which ever phone intiates the hold, will play their music on hold. If you want to stop MoH from traversing the WAN, than you should have the same multicast address configured on CME and CUCM; also you should block multicast from going through the WAN interface.

Non-Fallback Mode

During non-fallback mode (when the WAN is up and SRST is not active),  the branch SRST router can provide multicast MoH to all local Cisco  Unified Communications devices. To accomplish this, you must configure a  Unified CM MoH server with an audio source that has the same multicast  IP address and port number as configured on the branch router. In this  scenario, because the multicast MoH audio stream is always coming from  the SRST router, it is not necessary for the central-site MoH server  audio source to traverse the WAN.

To prevent the central-site audio stream(s) from traversing the WAN, use one of the following methods:

Configure a maximum hop count

Configure the central-site MoH audio source with a maximum hop count (or  TTL) low enough to ensure that it will not stream further than the  central-site LAN.

Configure an access control list (ACL) on the WAN interface

Configure an ACL on the central-site WAN interface to disallow packets  destined to the multicast group address(es) from being sent out the  interface.

Disable multicast routing on the WAN interface

Do not configure multicast routing on the WAN interface, thus ensuring that multicast streams are not forwarded into the WAN.

Figure 7-6 illustrates streaming multicast MoH from a branch router when it is not  in fallback mode. After phone A places phone C on hold, phone C  receives multicast MoH from the local SRST router. In this example, the  MoH server is streaming a multicast audio source to 239.192.240.1 (on  RTP port 16384); however, this stream has been limited to a maximum hop  of one (1) to ensure that it will not travel off the local MoH server's  subnet and across the WAN. At the same time, the branch office SRST  router/gateway is multicasting an audio stream from either flash or a  live feed. This stream is also using 239.192.240.1 as its multicast  address and 16384 as the RTP port number. When phone A presses the Hold  softkey, phone C receives the MoH audio stream sourced by the SRST  router.

Figure 7-6     Multicast MoH from Branch Router

When using this method for delivering multicast MoH, configure all  devices within the Unified CM cluster to use the same user hold and  network hold audio source and configure all branch routers with the same  multicast group address and port number. Because the user or network  hold audio source of the holder is used to determine the audio source,  if you configure more than one user or network hold audio source within  the cluster, there is no way to guarantee that a remote holdee will  always receive the local MoH stream. For example, suppose a central-site  phone is configured with an audio source that uses group address  239.192.254.1 as its user and network hold audio source. If this phone  places a remote device on hold, the remote device will attempt to join  239.192.254.1 even if the local router flash MoH stream is sending to  multicast group address 239.192.240.1. If instead all devices in the  network are configured to use the user/network hold audio source with  multicast group address 239.192.240.1 and all branch routers are  configured to multicast from flash on 239.192.240.1, then every remote  device will receive the MoH from its local router.

In networks with multiple branch routers configured to stream multicast  MoH, this allows for more than 51 unique MoH audio sources within the  Unified CM cluster. Each branch site router can multicast a unique audio  stream, although all routers must multicast this audio on the same  multicast group address. In addition, the central-site MoH server can  multicast a MoH stream on this same multicast group address. Thus, if  there are 100 branch sites each multicasting audio, then the cluster  actually contains 101 unique MoH audio sources (100 branch streams and  one central-site stream). If you want more than 51 unique audio streams  in the central site, see the methods described in Using Multiple Fixed (Live) Audio Sources.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/7x/moh.html#wp1043896

HTH

Regards,

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh

Can you confirm you are indeed using MoH Multicast.  Use RTMT Perfomance Windows to check if you are using Unicast or Multicast.

To enable Multicast, you need to effectively configure in three different locations. Source File, MoH Server and MRG. Then ensure the phone being put on hold includes this MRG in its MRGL. You should see (Multicast) besides the MRG.

If you configure the multicast moh 239.1.1.5 port 16384 route ip_address ip_address  Then you dont need to configure ip pim on the router. Just make sure the the gateway ip address for the of subnet for the phones is included in the above cmd. The Telephony-Service source ip address should be the other ip address for PSTN callers to hear MoH.

Also ensure you are have configured your Regions correctly, this will also effect what multicast ip address is used by the IP PHones at the branch site.

Hello Ben,

Can you please explain what is "other IP" in this line of yours: "

The Telephony-Service source ip address should be the other ip address for PSTN callers to hear MoH."

Thank you.

Hardik

Hi Hardik,

Sorry the 'other ip address' which is the source ip address for the telephony-service (10.18.201.20) should be included in the multicast moh 239.1.1.1 port 16384 route cmd. This is to ensure PSTN callers can hear MoH.

In you case you have this already included.

Ben

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: