cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MWI on Subscriber Node

mramirez-t
Level 1
Level 1

We are running 2 Unity servers 10.5.2.12901-1.  This morning, the MWI wasn't working on hard phones, so I restarted the Connection Notifier on the publisher.  Bam, the MWI comes back, but I notied Connection Notifier was disabled on the subscriber along with several other services.  Is it okay to activate the Connection Notifier on the subscriber?  If so, will there be any issue with my Unity set up?

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi there,

My friend Chris is most correct here (+5).

Here's a note from an older CUC doc that does speak to this query;

Table 3-1     Server Status Functions in the Cisco Unity Connection Cluster 

Primary

Publishes the database and message store, which are both replicated to the other server in the cluster.

Receives replicated data from the other server when that server is able to share its data.

Displays and accepts changes to the administrative interfaces (such as Connection Administration). This data is replicated to the other server in the cluster.

Answers phone calls and takes messages.

Sends message notifications and MWI requests (the Connection Notifier service is activated).

Sends SMTP notifications and VPIM messages (the Connection Message Transfer Agent service is activated).

Connects with clients such as email applications and the web tools available through the Cisco PCA.

When the cluster is functioning normally, the publisher server has Primary status.

Note A server with Primary status cannot be deactivated.

Cheers!

Rob

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Some CUC services such as Notifier only are active on the primary active server, so activating it on the other service will deactivate it on the one that is running it, so you should not activate it.  During failover testing you can notice the behavior.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi there,

My friend Chris is most correct here (+5).

Here's a note from an older CUC doc that does speak to this query;

Table 3-1     Server Status Functions in the Cisco Unity Connection Cluster 

Primary

Publishes the database and message store, which are both replicated to the other server in the cluster.

Receives replicated data from the other server when that server is able to share its data.

Displays and accepts changes to the administrative interfaces (such as Connection Administration). This data is replicated to the other server in the cluster.

Answers phone calls and takes messages.

Sends message notifications and MWI requests (the Connection Notifier service is activated).

Sends SMTP notifications and VPIM messages (the Connection Message Transfer Agent service is activated).

Connects with clients such as email applications and the web tools available through the Cisco PCA.

When the cluster is functioning normally, the publisher server has Primary status.

Note A server with Primary status cannot be deactivated.

Cheers!

Rob