Views
Helpful
Replies

Need CUCM Migration Advices

Thomas P
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,
I need advices concerning a CUCM migration.
Now, I have a CUCM in 6.1(5) on a MCS 7825-H4 and I want to upgrade this system to a CUCM 9.1 on a UCS-220-M3.
There is 1 publisher and 1 subscriber on the cluster.

I have a spare MCS and I want to use this spare for the upgrade.

I want to follow the bellow steps:
1 : Restore the database on the spare MCS
2 : on the spare MCS, upgrade from 6.1.5 to 8.5
3 : save the database
4 : On the UCS-220-M3, install CUCM 8.5
5 : On the UCS, restore the database
6 : On the UCS, upgrade from 8.5 to 9.1

Do you think this solution can work?

Thank in advance for your response.

Regards.
Thomas.

5 Replies 5

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, it will, but why not upgrade the MCS to 8.5 and then 9.1 and then installing 9.1 on UCS and restoring from backup?

Also, to restore from DRS you will need to use the same hostname/IP address so this will need to be done in isolation. You can change IP and hostname after the restore if you choose so.

HTH,

Chris

I don't upgrade my MCS to 9.1 because of the hardware requierement :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/ps5748/ps378/prod_brochure0900aecd8062a4f9.html

Regards.

Thomas.

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Thomas, agree with Chris (+5)..One thing to be aware of is this: For upgrade to CUCM9.1 on your exisiting hardware, you will have Bridge support only with < 4 GB RAM. Full support above 4 GB.

If your server memory is less than 4GB, then you can only do bridge upgrade to CUCM9.1. This is not usualy recommended as it is service impacting. So I suggest you upgrade to CUCM8.6 and take a backup from there is you dont have 4 GB of RAM. However if you do, then go straight to CUCM9.1

You can see CUCM9.1 hardware matrix here

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/im_presence/compatibility/9_1_1/IM_P_Compatibility.html

Please rate all useful posts

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

Thank you for your answers.

If I refer to this page :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/ps5748/ps378/data_sheet_c78-478931.html

The server memory is 2GB (maybe my server has more memory (I'm not able to check right now)).

Even with 2GB, I will be able to upgrade to 8.6? (For version 8.0(3) or higher, 4 GB strongly recommended, required for 8.6(1)+).

Yes, Thats a recommendation..It doesnt say its not supported and your system will not be in birdge MODE. However if you dont feel comfortable, then go with 8.5.

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: