Views
Helpful
Replies

New Install error "installation has failed and must be restarted "

iptuser55
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

I`m installing a new CUCM Cluster , I`ve booted up the Pub and it auto installed the SW to 7.1.5, I`m now trying to "install" the Subs however on two of the subs I`ve tried so far I get the following error "installation has failed and must be restarted ". It goes through the start up but stops at something called "UEFI setup "and just sits there . I`ve seen references to the above issue but it seems to point to VM box`s and insufficient Memory. They are brand new IBM servers straight out of the box from Cisco , the Pub is up and working but  I can not build the Sub`s- any idea`s .

The 1st Sub initially went as far as the normal set up Blue screen options but it failed to reach the NTP server, Pub and failed. Normally I would have expected the option to go back to Ignore, review or halt  options but did not and so I have to reboot it

The 2nd Sub did not get this far and sat at the "UEFI setup "  option

many thanks

9 Replies 9

iptuser55
Level 6
Level 6

just to add- these are not VM box`s

You may be running into bug CSCti28675.

Symptom:
System booting to the backup uEFI bank.

Conditions:
7835/45-I3 upgrading to uEFI 1.07
-or-
7835/45-I3 upgrading from uEFI 1.07 to newer uEFI release

Workaround:
Press F3 during POST to revert to the primary uEFI bank
-or-
Shut down server, and temporarily remove physical power to the server for 1 minute before booting again.

Further Information
For further information, refer to IBM RETAIN TIP H197332.
This defect is resolved by uEFI 1.08 or higher (contained in FWUCD 3.5(1)-I), however if the system currently on uEFI 1.07, then the workaround above must still be followed to upgrade from uEFI 1.07.  Systems upgrading to uEFI 1.08 from uEFI versions prior to 1.07 will not require the workaround noted above

Payal Bhaduri
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

What is the IBM server model?

The servers are IBM 7845-I3

Memory  6144MB

Intel E5540 2.53GHZ

Payal Bhaduri
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

You may be running into bug CSCti28675.

Symptom:
System booting to the backup uEFI bank.

Conditions:
7835/45-I3 upgrading to uEFI 1.07
-or-
7835/45-I3 upgrading from uEFI 1.07 to newer uEFI release

Workaround:
Press F3 during POST to revert to the primary uEFI bank
-or-
Shut down server, and temporarily remove physical power to the server for 1 minute before booting again.

Further Information
For further information, refer to IBM RETAIN TIP H197332.
This defect is resolved by uEFI 1.08 or higher (contained in FWUCD 3.5(1)-I), however if the system currently on uEFI 1.07, then the workaround above must still be followed to upgrade from uEFI 1.07.  Systems upgrading to uEFI 1.08 from uEFI versions prior to 1.07 will not require the workaround noted above

thanks, what exactly do I need to do

during boot up press F3 but then what?

Hi,

As a workaround you can upgrade the firmware before installation.

i will send you a ppt that addresses the workaround.

Hi

thanks, I will try it . My bad Sub`s match what is in the PPT however so does my Good Pub as well - all 3 x are using the same UEFI 1.07-I will do the upgrade on the bad ones first and let you know

Hi

I`ve done the upgrade in the firmware 1.09 and rechecked it but it is still failing- any ideas?