cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New office blues with CP-8851's

ScottMoore44075
Level 1
Level 1

Hoping for some help. We are a new office with CP-8851 phones. These were installed by a 3rd party contractor and we have no information on how the system was set up or which options are available to us.

Several stations share lines (e.g. operations, admin, etc.) so there are no direct extensions. 

As you'd expect they do have individual IP addresses (those I can see). Can we use the directly forward calls to the specific IP's?

To make the problem more clear; and example is there are 6 phones on extension xxxxx I want to forward a call to 1 of those 6 IP addresses so the correct person gets the call.

I know this sounds kind of crazy, but, we don't have a person we can find that knows how the system was set up or what specific options we have.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@ScottMoore44075 wrote:

To make the problem more clear; and example is there are 6 phones on extension xxxxx I want to forward a call to 1 of those 6 IP addresses so the correct person gets the call.

That sounds like a Ring Group:  Call/Forward or Transfer to an extension and 6 other numbers ring and anyone can pick up the call.  

You hit the nail on the head. There are ring groups. Since there are not separate extensions for each member of the ring group. I'm trying to find out how to send a call to a single phone in the ring group.

The only way I've found to discriminate between phone is their IP addresses. I do not know how to forward a call to a specific IP.

Regarding Anthony's question, I am in administration and have been 'elected' to be the person who figures out how to make the system useable for us.  We are a satellite office and while we are supposed to have an IT manager (and asst.) those positions have not been filled. There were not any staff present until after the office was set up. There are not any guides or users manuals that were left and I cannot find any information on the phones regarding system or options used.

I know this is very little to go on, but that's all I have to go on.

bijpraka
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What's the software version on the phones?

there are 6 phones on extension xxxxx I want to forward a call to 1 of those 6 IP addresses so the correct person gets the call.

I am slightly confused with the example.

So you want incoming calls to extension xxxxx to be forwarded to the rest 6 serially? 

I think a proper example would make it more clear.

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
What's your role in the company as it pertains to the phone system? Are you the Administrator of the phone system? Even if just by default, since no one else seems to be available anymore? Do you recall the name of the phone system put in place? Do you know what it consists of: software or hardware? Is it an on prem solution or cloud hosted?