Views
Helpful
Replies

off site location 911 dialing

latintrpt
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I currently have a CUCM cluster set up at my main office.  I'm on version 7.1.5.  911 calling and all other dial patterns are working fine at this location. 

I am now setting up off site locations to use the same CUCM cluster but these off site locations are in different area codes.  My problem is that when a user at one of these off site locations dial 911 or a their local area code and a number it will come back as the area code of the main office.  How would I go about trying to fix this issue?

I hope this makes sense.

21 Replies 21

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Do u mean the calling number ?

Can you please provide some more details about the call path, flow

Are you using local voice gateway in each site

So when these off site locations dial 911, they will be routed to their local 911 center in their own area code.

Basicall the call flow from the off site location would go like this.

If they dial an outside number, their call will be routed all the way back to the gateway back at the main campus and then go out.

The off site locations are not using a local voice gateway at each site.

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Ok and the issue you have that the calling number displayed as from the main site DID numbers ?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

That is correct.

Do I need to install a voice gateway at each remote location to solve this issue?

Well this a known issue or limitation as the telco when it receive a calling number not in your allocated DID it will mask it with your main DID number or send it as unknown

What you can do if it is same telco you might speak to them to allow two DID range over same line

Or get a local voice gateway for the remote site

Hope this help

If helpful rate

Actually, this scenario is one reason why telco's have a policy to block calling party numbers that are not within the DID range assigned to the originating trunk group. The other reason is toll fraud.

Whether both sites are serviced by the same telco is not relevant. The real question you need to ask yourself is whether the remote site is serviced by the same PSAP that services the geographic region of the main site. If the answer is no, then you do not want to send 911 calls from the remote site to the main site PSAP. Regardless of whether the calling party DN is correct or not. The PSAP can't dispatch emergency personnel to a region serviced by another PSAP.

So, bottom line is you need to drop a gateway out at the remote site. You can use analog lines on the gateway if you wish. I'd recommend that if you go this route and you are thinking of adding SRST to the mix that you get multiple analog lines and configure SRST to reserve at least 1 for 911 calling exclusively.

HTH.

Regards,

BIll

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Thank you for the feedback guys.

What kind of gateway do you recommend with analog lines?

The site has about 25 phones.

you could use PRI with 10 channels for example

even if the site not busy to use 101 channel you can use it for other sites for tail end hope of for local calls and reduce inter state call charges

hope this help

I currently have a Cisco 2921 router at the off site location but it's only being used for data.  Is there any way I can make it a dual purpose router, meaning as a voice gateway and a network router?

Thanks

Sure. You will need the appropriate voice interfaces and PVDM3 (DSP carrior modules) installed in the gateway. What you need depends on (a) what you want to do and (b) what slots are available on the existing router. Oh, you will also need a UC feature license on the box. I haven't dealt with that directly but my implementation guys have noted it to me.

Regards,
Bill

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

What about something like an SPA8800?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10446/index.html

You should be able to modify the 2921 to provide voice services but you will need to upgrade the IOS license to provide voice features, install a PVDM3 and a voice card (probably a two port FXO card). If you want the router to offer fallback call processing if the WAN fails then you will need an SRST license as well.

These items will not be cheap! - if you cannot afford this then a cheaper option would be to let staff know that the phone system cannot be used for 911 calls and provide a standard landline for that purpose. If you do decide to do this (check it is legal for your location!) I would recommend getting some "Not for 911" stickers made and putting them on the phone and setting up the dial plan so that if a user does dial 911 they go to a Unity Call Handler that plays a message telling them to use the landline phone.

as Bill mentioned you will need PVDMs for DSP use as routrs shipped for WAN use only dose not have DSPs for TDM lines/cards

also take into consideration buy UC license as well again using a PRI with 10 chnnels will be a very good option for you IPTel remote sites

hope this help

plz rate the helpful posts

Thank you all for the feed back, greatly appreciate it.

I'll explain our current infrastructure.

We have two call manager's in a cluster running 7.1.5.  These call managers to a 3845 Cisco voice gateway.  This voice gateway has two PRI's going out to the telco and two tie lines connecting to an Avaya system running QSIG.  How would I connect my off site location router back so that it can talk to the Cisco voice gateway along with talking to the Avaya system?

Thanks

Hope that makes sense

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: